Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Religion For Losers?

Is Religion For Losers?

Here's a link to where this came from: www.centenarylex.org/2cents/JesusFreaks.html

Jesus Freaks
    Today is March 16, 2001, and Ted Turner is in the news again, and again because of his inappropriate comments. According to television news agencies Turner insulted some of his own employees by referring to them as "Jesus freaks," apparently because they had ashes on their foreheads (following an Ash Wednesday service). One reporter said Turner also said, on this or another time, that religion is for "losers." Minnesota governor Jessie Venture said much the same thing last year, for which he apologized. I suppose Ted made some Christians see red but I thought, "Hey, this man knows his Christian theology (whether he actually knows it or not)." If not religion, certainly Christianity is for losers. Good for you, Ted!

I'm not ready to give Turner the "Theologian of the Year" award because I'm not sure at this point he appreciates the significance of his statement. But, as you know, out of the mouth of babes…. I think if Ted and St. Paul were having a coke and comparing notes, both would shake hands and smile on this issue, even if for different reasons. Religion is precisely for losers, that is, losers who know it and own up to it.

Do you remember that socially up-setting parable Jesus told about the two men in the temple? (Luke 18:9-14) Two men went into the temple to pray. One was a respected, honored, and self-righteous Pharisee. The other was a socially despised, disrespected, and shamed tax collector. The Pharisee bragged about his righteous acts to God and even compared himself to the tax collector. "This tax collector," he said with a sneer, "is a loser!" The crowd cheered (a little Mercerism here). The tax collector didn't respond. He just beat his chest, hung his head, and said, "God, please me merciful to me, for I am a loser." Jesus said, "Guess which man God heard with favor?" You're right, the loser. Actually the loser was the winner and the supposed winner was the real loser. That is the way things are in the kingdom of God. Those who admit their need of God and turn to God receive God's mercy. Those who think they are heads and shoulders above others, and that they have the right to judge others, well, all they get is the little they have. And when they stand before God ...

You see, we all need God and we all need one another. Maybe Ted would think the same way if he dug ditches for a living, rather than managing empires. I don't know. Its not mine to say. I do know that whether we accept the reality of God or not we are all losers. A great scientist has a great mind, but his wonderful mind is trapped in a dying body. Maybe it gives some people a fleeting sense of triumph to thumb their noses at God until their last breath. That, though, is a losing proposition. I am not concerned here with philanthropy, because we all know Ted Turner is a great philanthropist. I am thinking about the very reality that seems to cause Ted problems: God. I do not know if Ted is upset at organized religion or at the thought of being religious or because his sister died and that caused him great sorrow (as it should).

I apologize, Ted, if I have misread you. Maybe deep down you realize you too are a loser…in the gospel sense. Then you and, maybe me too, will receive mercy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to [Main 2 Cents Page]
    © 2001 Jerry L. Mercer
    Added 11Apr01

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////END OF ARTICLE////////////////////////////////////////////

I know this is old, but I wonder what you think about it?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

IMO, no. Not necessarily for losers but this is a security site.
    If I wanted to talk about God I would go to church.

Originally posted here by Remote_Access_

If I wanted to talk about God I would go to church.

How very true.

The only thing that bugs me about religion is how they try and force it on you. It started way back in the days of missionaries. How many times have you been minding your own bussiness in the privacy of your own home and some Christian knocks on your door trying to convert you? I don't go knocking on their Church doors pushing my beliefs......

If people want to be religious and belive in God than that's fine. I have no problem at all with that. Just leave the rest of us alone! Otherwise, I'll come knocking on your Church doors pusshing my religion, alcoholism....

< KNOCK KNOCK...Excuse me sir, I'm from the local brewery and I was wondering if you're happy with your life? It just so happens that I have a six pack you could have for a small donation....What's that? This is an inconvenient time? How about I come back later? Can I just leave this brouchure on "The joys of alcohol and prostitution" with you?>

im gonna agree with Conf1rm3d_K1ll, religion is forced down everyones throught. I went to catholic school, and if i disagreed with anythign they said, no matter how small, i got detention.

sooo nice and loving the ****ing catholics are, forcing me to conform, forcing me to become something im not
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Hello Gentlemen,
    Thank you for your candid replies. I just want to address some of the concerns you noted.
    First, I just want to note that it's my understanding that Cosmos is the place for religious and spiritual discussions, such as the one i was attempting to start. I wouldn't have dreamed of starting this thread in *nix security discussions (although learning Linux is testing my faith --just kidding).

Second, I have no intention of forcing my faith on you. Posting on a public forum is a bit different than knocking on people's doors. That's because I am not coming to your home. I posted a thread that you have the option of reading or not reading as you may wish. You may also choose to place me on your "Ignore" list and not view any of my posts. I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences with Christians who tried to control you or force you to hold opinions you disagree with. That is not my intention. Everyone has the right to choose what they believe. God allows us that choice. I too do not like when people try to strongarm me into holding opinions I don't like.

Third, church is a great place to have spiritual discussions and learn about God. I hope that one day you will avail yourself of the opportunity. But forums like this can be a good place too. You're free to say what you will. I'm free to say what I will. We can learn from one another without coercing one another.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Banned
    Cosmos: A forum dealing with philosophy, ethics, morals, laws, logical & mathematical problems, etc.
    If you want to talk about God, you can do it here

My reply was not aimed at you as an individual, preacherman, but rather at religion in general. Sorry if I offended.

Neg- I'm quite aware of what the Cosmos forum is for (it's one of my favourites) but I just couldn't resist quoting R_A_'s post. The religon thing has been "done to death" in these forums. It's starting to get a little boring. I know I could just add preacherman to my ignore list as he stated but I actually enjoy reading his computer/security related threads.

Anyway, as preacherman said, we're all entitled to different opinions, and that's mine....

As a Christian, I have to agree with Conf1rm3d_K1ll. Religion shouldn't be forced upon anyone. My belief in God is based on my own choices, not because it was imposed on me. If I was forced to believe in God, I would probably reject the notion.

I think the correct way to spread Christianity is by representing a lifestyle. If you live a cheerful, kind, open-minded life because of what you believe, others might realize that there's a reason for it. If they don't, that's their choice. But if you act like a selfish, conceited, unhappy, bigoted person, and say you are a Christian, Jew, etc.... well, then you're giving religion a bad name, just like many of its leader's has done.
    Why am I still here?

Hmmm,
    My opinion would have to be Yes. Now listen up for a second why. I would say religion is for losers only because it is the easy way out of things. When something is unexplainable people just turn to their "god" to make it easier for them to understand. If we imagine 4,000 years ago, we ask someone who decides who lives and dies, and they would most likely turn to some Sun god or one of the sort, 1,000 years ago we ask someone who decides what is a child is going to grow up to be like and they again say some god. Now imagine the same two questions today, who lives and dies is decided by doctors, if someone is shot, a doctor can save them, even if they were wounded in the head sometimes, and the latter question, what their children will be like, this will be dicided by geneticists, when they start manipulating the human genome they will decide who grows a sixth finger, who has cancer, who lives, who dies. Now, let us push into the future roughly a thousand years. Possibly by then, they will have figured out a scientific reason to how a universe can grow out of something seemingly empty, and they have also figured out some other way that single celled organisms will instinctively combine to form multicellular organisms and further on, humans. Now when we have all of this science and proven facts, why will people then turn to "god". To conclude, I say losers turn to god from lazyness, it is an easy way to explain the unexplainable, and more often than not, science will soon explain that unexplainable.

GreekGoddess
    I've never been a religious person, simply because I am undecided on which deity to choose. I am very openminded about religion and I take a special fascination in Buddhism because of the karma and dharma. I believe pretty much what anyone with religion does, minus the presence of a 'great holy one'. I don't like it when people push religion, or push anything for that matter.

But religion for losers? Not at all. I think that everyone needs something to believe in, maybe some people find solidarity in themselves, while others look for a higher, more powerful force to rely on. Maybe there's strength in believing in something greater than yourself. *shrugs* Hell, some people even believe in their psychic advisor....

Whatever turns you on, as I say.... *LOL*