Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do all religions lead to God?

Do all religions lead to God?

///////////////////////////Copied Article////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Do all religions lead to God?

Many people think this is the case, because they assume that all religions are essentially the same when you get right down to it. But this just isn't true. If you let each religion speak for itself, you find religions around the world differ greatly on the basic concepts-God, truth, reality, the basic human dilemma and the solution to that dilemma. They differ so much that many of their statements contradict one another. For example, God cannot be both personal, as Christians, Jews and Muslims believe, and impersonal, as Buddhists and Hindus believe. Those are contradictory statements. According to the rules of logic, contradictory statements cannot all be true. Therefore, all religions cannot possibly be true. It is a logical impossibility. And if they are not all true, then not all of them can lead to God.

Some people might question this, saying it is intolerant to think only one religion has things right. But this response shows a misunderstanding of what intolerance really is. Intolerance comes from the word "tolerate." To tolerate means to allow something, such as a belief, to exist even though we don't like it or agree with it. Tolerance does not mean never disagreeing with anybody. The word implies disagreement. True tolerance means allowing differing views to coexist without necessarily agreeing with them or claiming that all views are true. Therefore, we can hold that one view is true or better than other views without being intolerant. If we were truly intolerant, we would seek to silence other points of view. But merely engaging in persuasive conversation with someone you disagree with is not intolerance. We show more respect for each other when we take our religious claims seriously than when we clothe them in a patronizing cloak of relativism.

Another thing that often gets confused is whether Christians claim that salvation comes only through adherence to their religion or whether our Saviour, Jesus Christ, is the only way to salvation. In actuality, what we believe is that no religion-not even Christianity-can save us; only Christ can do this. Salvation is not about demographics. Membership in a certain group, such as the Christian church, does not automatically lead to salvation. Neither does having the right thoughts or feelings or holding the right theological beliefs. Christianity's claim to exclusivity is not for the religion but for Christ. It is a claim that Jesus is the only true Saviour.

On what evidence do Christians base this claim? Mainly on Jesus' own words. Jesus claimed to be the only Saviour "I am the way and the truth an dt he life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). From His own words, both Jesus' followers and his opponents recognized that He claimed to be God, the only one able to save us from sin and death (see also John 20:24-29; John 10:31-33).

When someone makes such claims we can react in one of three ways: we can believe him, disbelieve him or withhold belief. Withholding belief is a perfectly legitimate position. But it is only a transitional state. Sooner or later we have to make up our minds one way or the other. Disbelief is also legitimate, providing we have examined the evidence and have good arguments for why it is insufficient as a basis for belief. Finally, we have belief. There are many good reasons to believe that the claims of Christ are true, such as the reliability of the Bible; fulfilled prophecies; the teaching, character, and miracles of Christ; and testimonies from throughout the ages of how Christ has changed people's lives.

So, Christians believe that if anyone is saved, it is not by Christianity or any other religion but by Jesus alone. At the same time, they believe Christianity contains the clearest presentation of Jesus and His teachings to be found anywhere. You can read more about Jesus here and decide how you will respond to his claims and his offer of salvation.

© 2001 Power to Change. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy

///////////////////////////End of Article///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////-\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

What are your comments on this writer's (and my own )point of view? What do you think of his discussion of tolerance?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Buddhists and Hindus teache that life is an illusion and really doesn’t matter. It’s attaining a higher spirituality that it’s all about. So give to cesar that which is cesar's...cause it really doesn’t matter in the hereafter.
    The eastern religions teach a respect and love of all god's creatures. A true Buddhist will not harm a fly (literally) They truly love all life.
    Jesus stopped ritual sacrifice because that wasn't what his father wanted. The latest research indicates Jesus was a vegetarian.
    God gave man dominion over all the creatures of the earth, and in typical western fashion, this was interpreted as.... PLUNDER!!! Puerto Rico is under the domion of the US, that dosen't mean we can or should abuse them. In fact it means exactly the opposite, it's our responsibility to protect them and make sure they come to no harm.

God appears to us all in a way we can understand and all religions lead to god. It’s the misinterpretation and rationalizations that are added to teachings along the way that lead to differences.

What your saying is only you can be right and the teachings of the bible as we know it today has no flaws.

So…if we became burdened with shame of our bodies, why did the missionaries have to tell the Polynesians the were naked and make them wear clothing. I mean we’re all children of adam and eve so this should apply to all.

And if jesus died so we may be forgiven of this original sin. If the sins of the father are no longer the sins of the child, why is there still pain in childbirth?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Satanism,
    Yes it is a religion, most people are either afraid or simply frown upon it, but it is there. Satanism is different it does not lead to god. BUT it does not lead to the prince of darkness either. Satanism preaches to hold yourself as a god. And that you are the most holy being that exists. It also preaches that self gratification is of upmost importance, since you are holding yourself as a god, you should treat yourself as one. This does not mean go around murdering and killing everyone, it only preaches to worship yourself, not pray to yourself, but keep your own self and state of mind first always. Well I do not feel like getting into too deep of a conversation about it, but that is one religion that does not lead to god.

i have heard this before preacher. many people take the similarities in amny religions as leading to "god" in some sense of the word. the problem is that every religion uses it to support his or her religion.... (ex. christians use it, but so does the church of satan) all religions that have ever existed have many of the same similarities throughout. for example they all have the same basic principals (love, kindness) even in the church of satan (the satanic bible) these ideas can be found. but for me, i don't know that this really leads me to say, the christian "God." what it says to me is that maybe, there is one all powerful being and if you take all the similarities, you could prolly find the one true god. but i am not sure that i believe that, just following the logical reasoning. another interpretation is that all humans desire these things, love, peace and the like. that is why all religions have them. humans realize their bad nature and decide they want to be another way, thus making religion to justify. but this theory does not link some of the similar stories and such.

if you look at many ancient texts, almost all of them mention the flood as well. interesting, hmmm?
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

satanism is not a religion in itself it is a sub-faction of christianity and judiahism. An angel fallen from heaven. Satanism only teaches love of self. The satanic bible would make a good guide to corporate success.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

no satanism is a religion... as much as christianity is or any other religion... christianity copies mysticism almost identically... and satanism could still potentially exist without christianity.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

then what would they do with all those upside down crosses and solomon seals? :-)

if christianity didn't exist then satanism would be a sub-faction of judiasm

why do you say christianity copies mysticism, i agee the catholics did, the romans just couldn't let go, but not most others. and which mysticism do you mean.

id like to here digress for a moment :
    ------------------------
    another interpretation is that all humans desire these things, love, peace and the like.
    ------------------------

you may be right in your assumption, but its also POSSIBLE that this could really be our connection with the devine.

another difficult thread.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

It is impossible to prove the existence of God with logic because the concept of a God itselft isn't logic. Therefore I think the author is wrong and the main argument falls flat. To me, religion and logic has always been a contradiction and it's always amusing to see people try to fit them together because it never works out.

If God is almighty he'd be able to create a stone so heavy he couldn't move it. If he can't move it he's not almighty. That's logic for you.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

The latest research indicates Jesus was a vegetarian.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you conduct research on a man that has been dead for two thousand years? Besides, to the best of my knowledge Jesus was jewish, thus he ate kosher and not vegetarian.

Hm, time for lunch.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra