Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do all religions lead to God?

Yes,
    Jesus was Jewish (In national indentity), ultimately he is the Son of God. To be an observant Jew he would have had to partake of the Passover Lamb, which would preclude vegetarianism. But getting back to the original point of the thread, all religions cannot be right. The only way they could all right is if they say they same thing, and clearly they don't. For example, Christianity says that salvation comes by grace (God's unmerited favor freely bestowed on those who throw themselves on God's mercy). Islam says that good works are required to obtain salvation. Those are two mutually exclusive opinions. Therefore, one must be right and the other must be wrong.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Originally posted here by preacherman481
    Yes,
    Jesus was Jewish (In national indentity), ultimately he is the Son of God. To be an observant Jew he would have had to partake of the Passover Lamb, which would preclude vegetarianism. But getting back to the original point of the thread, all religions cannot be right. The only way they could all right is if they say they same thing, and clearly they don't. For example, Christianity says that salvation comes by grace (God's unmerited favor freely bestowed on those who throw themselves on God's mercy). Islam says that good works are required to obtain salvation. Those are two mutually exclusive opinions. Therefore, one must be right and the other must be wrong.
    If you belive it is possible to apply philosophical reasoning on the existence of a God you can't leave out the third possibility just because it is convenient for you as a religious man. The third possibility is that both partys are wrong and there is no God. So the fact that one is wrong is not logically equivalent with the other one being right.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

tedob... first, the original form of satanism, which uses the satanic bible, had nothing to do with what you are associating "satanism" with. the thing you are talking of is the ultra radical satanists. second, yes the catholics started copying mysticism.... since catholic is the original form of "christianity" and christianity's core beliefs (the birth death and crucifiction of jesus ) are the same then christianity also copied mysticism. as for which mysticism, i am not sure what you mean. there is really only one mysticism, found in rome right before christianity/catholisism took off. and most of the stories of Jesus and the savior in mysticism are identical or close to it.

preacher... did you ever think that there maybe is no one right answer? or that maybe the right answer is some where in between... like you need jesus, but with jesus, you will perform good works (thus if you don't you prolly are with out jesus) or as mankan said maybe all religions are wrong.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Preacherman I think you need to be schooled. To discuss right and wrong when it comes to religion is ludicrous. They all lead right back to 'you'. Put a different costume on and they all end up with you on your knees alone, hoping and praying that there is some larger force than yourself who will light your way. Well good luck if that is your pursuit. My way is already lit, I don't need a religous crutch.

Let me know what happens at the end, won't you?

And BTW - satanism is not devil-worship, nor vice-versa. So don't mistake the two. And both were born from the Catholic church.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

To quote George Carlin--- "Religion is like a lift in your shoe, when you're having a hard time just slip the lift in and it'll help you get through. But don't go trying to shove your lifts in my shoes and for God's sake don't go nailing the lifts on to the natives feet."

Hallelujah!!!
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted here by Mankan

If you belive it is possible to apply philosophical reasoning on the existence of a God you can't leave out the third possibility just because it is convenient for you as a religious man. The third possibility is that both partys are wrong and there is no God. So the fact that one is wrong is not logically equivalent with the other one being right.
    This is true. Strictly according to logic there would be the third possibility that there is no God (But I believe there is). But that wasn't my point. My point is that if there is a God (and there is), then it is impossible for all religions all correct. Because they make contradictory claims about God. I am not trying to prove the existence of God which is impossible (And personally, I think that's the way God wants it ). I am starting from the assumption that all the major religions make-- that there is a God. I am not trying to debate with those who say there is no God. I am taking acception with those who say that all religions are equally valid.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    Preacherman I think you need to be schooled. To discuss right and wrong when it comes to religion is ludicrous. They all lead right back to 'you'. Put a different costume on and they all end up with you on your knees alone, hoping and praying that there is some larger force than yourself who will light your way. Well good luck if that is your pursuit. My way is already lit, I don't need a religous crutch.

Let me know what happens at the end, won't you?

And BTW - satanism is not devil-worship, nor vice-versa. So don't mistake the two. And both were born from the Catholic church.
    Hi KorpDeath,
    Thank you for your frank and honest thoughts. I'm just wondering, what is it that lights your path? Why don't you think there is a God? I can't prove to you there is a God, and I won't try. But why don't you believe? Have you ever given Jesus a chance?

lord_darkside_x, when you say the 'satanic bible' are you referring to the one written by the man who was richard nixons next door neighbor (leVey) the carni guy, thats the only satanic bible i know of.

prior to that, as far as i know, satanists did the black mass thing that had to be performed by a defrocked priest. the inverted pentical is a mockery of the seal of solomen, the tetragramaton, and upside down crosses were definitly used, as well as rosary beads with the cross replaced with a goats head.

Catholicism wasn’t the first form of Christianity. It only came into being when the Romans took it over. The first, where those that followed the disciples of Christ.

The romans replaced their pantheon with saints. the priests of the old gods changed robes and became the priests of the new god, which is why you still see magical overtones in it. Most of the true mysticism in it comes from its jewish origins. Judaism is a very mystical religion

this is one of my favorite topics, so forgive me if i get carried away.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I don't believe all religions lead to God. In fact no religion leads to God. God is not religious.

All roads don't lead to Rome after all. Have you ever tried driving in Italy - I hate those switchbacks and crazy narrow tunnels.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Banned
    There are a couple of hundred definitions out there on what satanism really is.
    Here's what I think satanism is about - based on Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible.

In 1967, Anton Szandor LaVey created the Church of Satan (and not on Walpurgisnight 1966 as he liked to claim).

- Satanism is a religion.
    Satanism is not a religion, it's an UNreligion.
    Satanists do not believe in the existance of Gods, The Divinity
    of the Bible, Angels, Heaven or Hell, The Devil, Satan, Spirits, Demons,...
    Satanists do not hold belief in supernatural beings. Period.

But then again, it depends on your definition of 'religion', I guess. If religion is a synonym of 'belief', satanism is a religion.

- Satanists worship Satan.

Satanists are not 'Devil' worshippers (The Greek word 'diabollus' means 'great deceiver', everything a Satanist opposes to). Satan comes from Hebrew 'an opposer'.

The Roman god Lucifer (from Latin lux=light, and ferre=to bring) was the bearer of light, the personification of enlightenment. In Christian mythology he became synonymous with evil, the fallen angel. In the Bible (Isaiah 14:12-15), the King of Babylon is referred to as Lucifer. Satanists refer to Lucifer in the original meaning of the word.

The being Satan is the scapegoat / invention of Christians and monotheistic dualistic
    theories, and not a real being.

The belief that "Satan, The Dark Lord" (and therefor a real
    entity) is the strongest of two (good and evil) forces, or the evil component of a cosmic
    dualistic battle, is devil-worshipping, and has got nothing in common with satanism.

During the late Middle Ages, Catholic Church taught that some "Witches," mostly women, worshipped Satan, killed babies, flew through the air on broomsticks,... Satanism as it is most commonly referred to, is an invention of the Catholic Church.

- Marilyn Manson is a satanist.

ehmm... no.

--> Satanism is a human potential movement, based on real objects, real things, real events
    in what they perceive to be the real world. Satanists recognize themselves as gods,
    and they hold their own perspective on life as holy and revere their own experiences as
    the only truth we can ever know.

Tedob1: - The inverted cross is a Christian symbol (don't know the exact details, but I think it was the apostle Peter who wanted to die on an inverted cross, because he didn't feel worthy to die the same way Jezus did - Help me out here, Preacherman). Inverted crosses don't have anything to do with satanism.
    - The 'Sigil of the Baphomet' (an inverted pentacle with a goat's head) is not a mockery of the seal of Solomon. Satanism is not about blasphemic parodies of Christian symbols. Solomon's pentacle has it roots in ancient Egypt btw, long before Christ was born.
    - Satanists don't do black masses. Devil-worshippers do. Devil-worshipping is about making fun of christianity, satanism isn't.
    - Lord_Darkside-x is right all the way (I can even understand why he's calling satanism a religion because of his reasoning behind that statement). Satanism is not a 'sub-faction of christianity and judiahism', it's a religion (ugh) on its own.

Oh yeah, the topic:: No, not all 'religions' lead to God.