Gaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaming

Talking Gaming

Just a quick question what operating system whould you Computer Gods use of Gaming Windows 98, Windows 2K what????

Win XP
    hip hop rules

I was reading an old article today from PC User and I can't phrase it exactly, cos it's at work not here at home (yup, there's a lot of work going on at work) and they said that Windows XP doesn't really improve performance on games that much over the other previour Windows OS's. They said that Windows 2000 was the best for games.

But, I'm sure you'd be able to find more reviews and articles on the matter if you do a quick search at http://www.google.com

Cheers,
    Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Xp improves the performens not dramaticly but that's not the point it don't shut of automaticly and stuff like that and some games arent compatible with windows 2k or nt4.0 and lower windows me is instable if i where u i'll taked Win XP if you have 256mb or higher if you don't have that kind of mb take Windows 98 SE
    hip hop rules

I have a win2k box and i honestly think it sux for gameing....
    Many of my games such as
    Worms, Half-Life, Diablo 2 LoD, and many others have ALOT of troubles with win2k, HL had a problem where it just closes itself out of no where, D2LoD gets alot of errors that cause the game to crash, Worms wont even load a game on 2k...

Ive also had problems with win2k where direct X would get corrupted for no particular reason and ive had times where i had to reinstall 2k just to get directX off.

As for NT , ive never had a gameing prblem with NT...

ME works good with games also... but like most other 9* OSs it crashs.... ALOT..

so id probly stick with NT or ME for gaming and just have a partition for other activites.
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Ugh Win XP helps gaming? Heck no. Win 98, patched, is the best gaming system for compatability so far... XP is a resource hog and the compatability sucks. Win2k I have heard is a decent OS for gaming, but is not quite as compatible as Win 98. (stated above).
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Also NetSyn, try patching Half-Life to the most recent version and then try it on Win2k. It should slove all your probs.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

XP blowx, and 98 its jsut annoying, 2000 advanced server ive NEVER had ANY problems with, so long as you ge tall the patches for the games and the system your fine

Sorry everybody but my vote goes to Win98SE. As far as games like RTCW and Empire Earth, etc. etc.

I've set the same system up on Win95/98/98SE/2000/XP and the best performer/compatabilty was 98SE.

BUt it's really a matter of opinion as you can plainly see.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

ill have toagree with korp, its really a matter of opinion, and weather or not you can configure the system to run games optimumly, the latter moreso i believe