Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I dump ME for Linux???

Question Should I dump ME for Linux???

Hello.

I have been lurking for a while to avoid posting something stupid. I came here because I am concerned about my own security and I don't pretend to know alot about the subject. (I am generally fairly intelligent otherwise - If you can believe that from a security newbie.) I am hearing alot of opinion along the line of: "Windows sucks....Linux is where it's at." Can I run my Windows software on Linux? I can't afford to replace my Office XP. Is Linux relatively easy to understand and use??. Is there a seamless transition for all of my current directories and programs ... or do I have to start from scratch? Do I have to run opera instead of IE?

Also, is Linux better functionally or just in terms of security?

Does Linux run faster?

ravenpoint

Re: Should I dump ME for Linux???

Originally posted here by ravenpoint
    Hello.
    hi

I have been lurking for a while to avoid posting something stupid. I came here because I am concerned about my own security and I don't pretend to know alot about the subject. (I am generally fairly intelligent otherwise - If you can believe that from a security newbie.) I am hearing alot of opinion along the line of: "Windows sucks....Linux is where it's at."
    I don't think so. For someone is better linux (but you have to know how to configure it). For other windows. Me and many people here are using windows...

Can I run my Windows software on Linux?
    Not all of them. Some of them has equivalent in linux, some as CAD systems etc doesn't.

I can't afford to replace my Office XP. Is Linux relatively easy to understand and use??.
    IMO not. Maybe to run linux as user isn't hard (I worked only on radhat so someone correct me if I'm wrong) but configuring linux is really hard and you should understand the basics of security.

Is there a seamless transition for all of my current directories and programs ... or do I have to start from scratch? Do I have to run opera instead of IE?
    I'm using IE and have no problems. Just take it up to date patch it and it should be ok

Does Linux run faster?
    IMO linux could be run on slower computers than windows. But more of this could say some linux users not me
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

To answer the question, no you're probably too incapable to replace ME for a Linux distro.
    Linux can run most Windows programs but then again not all, Linux also lacks some functionality, like for example if you have a multihead video card then you cannot enable 3d.
    Most people who come here whine about wanting to switch to Linux, but what is the point of switching if you even don't know what DHCP is or other basic things?
    Stick with what you have, master it first. And if you're not an IT student or someone who is in the IT business but just some (l) user then don't bother and stick with Mac or Windows.

Thumbs up Re: Should I dump ME for Linux???

Originally posted here by ravenpoint
    Can I run my Windows software on Linux? I can't afford to replace my Office XP. Is Linux relatively easy to understand and use??. Is there a seamless transition for all of my current directories and programs ... or do I have to start from scratch? Do I have to run opera instead of IE?

Does Linux run faster?

ravenpoint
    [list=1][*]No, you can't run Windows software on LINUX.[*]Linux is not as easy as Windows, but it is improving.[*]You create a new file system when you install LINUX, but if you have a Dual Boot system, you can access the Windows files from Linux.[*]Linux probably has advantages in addition to its famed security features[*]some people claim it is faster than windows, but you be the judge[*]It comes ,usually, with more than one internet browser (netscape, mozilla) but not Internet Explorer[/list=1]
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thanks for the info RC and Sun

Thanks for the condescension, Foc

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I use both linux and windows depending on what I am doing. You can run a lot of windows software on linux if you use Wine or VMWare, or some other emulater. You may also be able to replace Office XP with Open Office, not sure why you need office XP though. I would not try to replace ME until you play with linux first. Test the things that you need (like office) before you make the switch. As far as being faster, it is in some ways. The graphical desktop on Linux is slower then on ME with the same amount of ram. Not sure about XP, but they are probably about the same. Linux has better security, but only if you know how to implement it. You can't run IE in linux, because there isn't a version. You can run Opera, Mozilla, Konquor, Netscape, etc etc, in linux though. Linux is better in functionallity, because it has better memory management. The programs that it runs are just not as standardized.

Sorry, I kinda just ran that all together into one big paragraph, but I think you should be able to parse the information
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I would replace Windows ME, with the following, either Linux, Windows 98, or Windows 2000. All of these though are only as stable and secure as the user makes them.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Louie...Thanks for the advice, but could you tell me why you would do this?

Should you dump windows for linux......Well, That really all depends on how much time you are will to give to it. Remember when you first saw a computer and first turned on the power button it was like a whole new world was just opened to you. Much to my dismay Linux can be at times a bit over whelming, At first it seems a little cryptic but soon you realize that its a whole new way to do something.It can be really secure and it is Super Powerful platform to do anything.Does it run window programs.....err..kind of, You can use a program called wine, it allows for just enough window api's to run inorder for the program to work, However for every windows software their is a free alteritive. Photoshop=gimp Office 2000=star office or Openoffice, etc....So try it out and have fun
    I toor\'d YOU!

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    ravenpoint> why switch to 98 or 2kpro? Because they are both better then ME. ME was really bad.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman