Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really screwed myself this time...

Unhappy I really screwed myself this time...

I just ran C2config.exe from the NT4 reskit on a NT4 sp6 server. However, it seems c2config.exe doesn't like international flavours (it was a french NT4 install). Now my administrators (or rather "administrateurs" which seems to be at the root of the problem) don't have any access to C: all NTFS permissions on C: have been changed. And I can't even view permissions and even less retake ownership...
    Any ideas?!?...

NO REALLY!! ANY IDEAS!!

PLEASE!!

Ammo

Got a backup?
    DjM

More details:

Here's what I found from MicroShit (sorry, getting emotional)...:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q172185

Miraculously, I had a usrmgr window open when I ran C2config, so I was able to create a Administrator user and Administrators group, and give all user rights like my administrateurs group but to no avail...

Now all users are able to login, and all user files were on d:, so things are still running "fine" for *them* for now...

Administrative shares don't work from other workstations either...

help!!

PS: If you read the MS page I linked, it says to try the ERD... of course I can'T find it... (I'm not the one who built the box, but I should have checked, I know...)
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

"Got backup" -> *sorta*....

Anyways, updates:
    For some reason, after renaming the account "administrator" I created to "Administrator" (with a capital A), I seem to be getting some results... I can now browse shares mapped to d: that were restricted to admins with ntfs permissions...
    I can also browse user rights with "DumpSec"...

Still can't access c: locally or admin shares remotely though...

I'll keep you posted...

Ammo

Anyone know of a way of running something as System user?
    I badly need a way of restoring my C: drive's NTFS permissions...
    I can't even logon localy now..

Ammo

Antionline Herpetologist
    What you could do is use a program like Partition Magic to convert your NTFS partition to FAT32. You'd lose all your NTFS specific information though, but at least you'll be able to access your C:. You could then convert it back to NTFS and set it all up. Another option would be to attach your drive as a slave on a WinNT/2K/XP machine that you have admin rights to and then take it from there. Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Actually, I have an idea, i don't know if it would work but you could try it, got a spare hardrive around? put like redhat hat on it put in your nt box and set up the linux harddrive so that your able to see the windows (enable windows connectivity) and you'll be able to boot to linux and mount the box and you will be able to see add modify all the data without actually killing any of it....
    Like i said this im not sure if this will work but good luck.
    I toor\'d YOU!

Redhat does not linux NTFS too well. only Fat filesystems.

Along the same lines as linuxcomando find another harddrive and put NT4 or 2000 on it and set it up to boot. Go to the properties of the second drive(origional NT4 drive) and take owner ship of every directory in the drive. This has worked for me when my XP install blew up and I needed to get my files off.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I was going to say slackware or something else but the only box i set up with that kind of setup was a redhat box.......i haven't had too many problems......yet... after all it in the same box as a NTFS harddrive
    But hey....for being such an anti-microsoft person that i am he should be lucky that im not flaming him for running microsoft.
    j/k
    I toor\'d YOU!

Right.. I knew about this option, but since it's a important file server, I can't try any of those like before the weekend....
    The ironi in all of this is that my users don't have a clue this is going on... all their files are on d: with permissions intact... Acutally, right now it's like... TOO secure...

Ammo