Thread: The economics of virus attacks

The economics of virus attacks

SecurityFocus has published a rather sarcastic take on the cost of virus attacks:

Dollar Diddling and the Billion-Dollar Viruses

Let us now pause to praise the computer virus cost accountants. We pray they cease their counsel, which falls into our ears as profitless as water in a sieve.
    Some very true words in this article about all the supposedly exact figures that so-called experts produce in the wake of a virus attack.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Banned
    Cost of the "LoveLetter" virus: "...as much as $10 billion." (ICSA.Net, October 23, 2000, "2000 Computer Virus Prevalence Survey")
    Wow, 10 billion for the love letter virus and 12 billion for the war on Afghanastan.... Its sort of funny when you think that 100 lines of code cost as much as months of fighting and dropping missiles on some country..... Next thing you know people will say that a person is waging war on the United States when they write a virus like that.... Interesting....

Wow, 10 billion for the love letter virus and 12 billion for the war on Afghanastan.... Its sort of funny when you think that 100 lines of code cost as much as months of fighting and dropping missiles on some country..... ya that puts thing into percpective

If you tell me Curiosity Killed the cat,
    Then I say he died a noble death.

With the increasing dependence of our government and our society on computers I would not be surprised to see viruses become an important tactic in warfare, that is, if they aren't already.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

fudging figures for sure.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Well gold eagle I know of a guy who works for Cisco now that used to work for Ebay and he was our Cisco PIX instructor and he said that when Ebays' VPN went down that they would lose $200.00 a second? (don't know truth) so think about the cost at losing servers by a virus. And precherman you would be suprised to see the kinds of things that we use in warfare. $12 billion....the equipment that sits on my site is worth over $15 million....that is perspective...
    Beware the quiet ones...