Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Guns

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Post Smart Guns

This is a pretty interesting article about securing handguns so that only their proper owner can fire them.

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,52178,00.html

"We're working with something called 'new biometrics,' which basically is that the gun can identify the user by the size of the hand, length of each finger and the ingrained pattern of the muscles when you squeeze," said Sebastian, NJIT vice president for research and development. "This is literally at the moment of truth. It's gotta be you or it won't shoot."
    So what happens when you grab your gun fast, and your hand isn't quite lined up theway it was when you first measured it?
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

kinda glitchy though.. thin about what happenes when you do strenous work with your hands, (jerking off or something (j/k)) the muscle patters change..

i think the do,

maybe less the muscle patterns it could work well... but i dont know what im talking about
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

AntiOnline Newbie

Re: Smart Guns

"Smart Guns" always sound good until you think about the possible serious complications they present.

How about on the battlefield when soldiers are collecting weapons from the dead? The guns would need to be reprogrammed, costing time that isn't always available.

In the same vein, how about a police officer that needs to pick up a weapon in a split second to defend himself or another? For that matter what if a private citizen is forced into a situation where they must defend themselves and the only weapon they have access to will not let them fire it?

Tougher laws against criminals who use guns and better education for gun owners is the better route, IMHO.

AntiOnline Newbie

Re: Smart Guns

What would be really sweet would be to use biometrics to keep habitual drunk drivers from being able to start a vehicle until their license is reinstated. Or a BA onboard in a vehicle that will disable the ignition in a vehicle whewre the driver's BAC is over legal limits.

Originally posted here by SarinMage
    kinda glitchy though.. thin about what happenes when you do strenous work with your hands, (jerking off or something (j/k)) the muscle patters change..

i think the do,

maybe less the muscle patterns it could work well... but i dont know what im talking about
    The muscle patterns in your hand do not change. Nor does the way you grip.

Smart guns will just be another (excuse the term) weapon in the arsenal. It won't be the end be all it'll just be another safety.

And as far as reprogamming hand guns on the battlefield, please.....Most weapons we confiscate are destroyed or stockpiled, keep in mind the people that we'd be in a war with wouldn't have this technology. It'd be too expensive or too technical for any of our enemies to implement.

my 2 cents.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Re: Re: Smart Guns

Originally posted here by Specter6
    What would be really sweet would be to use biometrics to keep habitual drunk drivers from being able to start a vehicle until their license is reinstated. Or a BA onboard in a vehicle that will disable the ignition in a vehicle whewre the driver's BAC is over legal limits.
    Actually, Specter6, that does exist. I can't find the link right now, but I recently read an article about being about to get a breathalyzer installed on your car ... although, of course, as long as it voluntary, it's not the regular drunks who will install it.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

AntiOnline Newbie
    I guess I should have been a little more clear in my reply - weapons gathered up from OUR deceased troops would have to be reprogrammed. I know when I was in the service, there wasn't a whole lot of time in combat situations to go throught that. When you need a weapon, you need it now.

Originally posted here by Specter6
    I guess I should have been a little more clear in my reply - weapons gathered up from OUR deceased troops would have to be reprogrammed. I know when I was in the service, there wasn't a whole lot of time in combat situations to go throught that. When you need a weapon, you need it now.

Then they could program it for the entire division or such. Still no problem. But I see your point thanks for clarifying.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Thinking about war situations.... who is accually gonna put this kind of tech in a gun used in war... i think this is more for personal hand guns not assualt rifles and ****.... Then again if you think about putting them in assualt rifles and crap... who the hell has one in their house? and the people that do can probly get one without this technology even if it is illegal to do so considering they have a assualt rifle in their house... Get what i mean?
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    The Bill of Rights

Can someone explain to me why we should accept
    such a heavy restriction on one of our rights,
    but still expect the others to remain intact?

Should you be required to have a license to own a computer,
    or have some biometrics device verify that it is your
    own licensed computer before you publish an opinion
    on the net?

The old saying is, "the pen is mightier than the sword"
    If they can take the lesser weapon from you, how long
    before they zero in on the real dangerous weapon
    Free Speech?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.