Thread: New personal firewall vulnerability

New personal firewall vulnerability

An application called Blackstealth is capabale of bypassing personal firewalls like McAfee, Norton, Sygate & Tiny by executing itself in the firewall's memory space.

Read more
    ---
    proactive

sounds like it is not a good program
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Nice. Too bad it requires executing code on your box.

My feeling about this is it's a nice proof of concept but in reality you're only going to be able to get users to execute it that'd already execute arbitrary code on their box anyway. So if can't defeat the firewall from the outside then people who wouldn't get infected from regular virii will not be susceptible to this either.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

You have to love the quote:

BackStealth is an innovative Security Utility which allows to bypass the outbound protection of a Personal Firewall in order to establish a remote connection.
    Bit of an oxymoron, dont you think?
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Just the moronic part if you ask me......
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

If you are under the Administrator account on Win2k, WinXP, WinNT, then obviously you have the control to run code that bypasses your firewall. But the question is...is that program able to work when non-Admin users run it? (that's where the security of a box comes into question).

Also, try it with TPF 3 (www.tinysoftware.com -- ver. 3 is commercial now) - they have added a lot of beef in it now.
    Ah well...I\'m back on AntiOnline!

lol damn.. i cant view the link.. for some reason Opera blocks the cookies it sends
    Cookie Security Breach
    The server tried to set a cookie for a domain with no registered IP address.
    For security reasons this is not acceptable, and the cookie has therefore been rejected.

Domain Address:
    http://ads.dada.it/jserver/SITE=SUPE...D=236182/POS=1

Data:
    GUID=FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF; expires=Sun, 29-Feb-2004 23:59:59 GMT; path=/; domain=.dada.it;
    thats the error message i got... from my end.. i dont think this look good.. but thank god Opera detected it.

hmm. Depressing.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.