Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: want windows and linix on same pc

want windows and linix on same pc

I want to install linix rh 6.0 without uninstalling windows. i would still like the ability to boot either one because my parents won't let me change the os completely because they don't know how to use a word based operating system. thank you for any info you give me

Banned
    It is reccomended that you either get another hard drive for Linux or install Linux first so that it can edit the MBR to its liking (So you can boot Windows)

um i know a way you can do this..

its caled Trios.

60 bucks, and it just fits right into your cdrom drive "spots".. and, you can select which one you want to use =)

i think its great.

www.tigerdirect.com then look for trios

----

note: tigerdirect.com is the best place to get computer hardware. They have cheap ass ****. =) I love em!
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.

Here's a quick and easy free way to do it if you are using Lilo. Edit it and set which ever OS you want as the default boot ( I reccommend setting that as windows since family members get really mad when you boot into linix) Then when it boots up the command prompt is there and you type in linux and poof there you go. Make sure you are in your root login to do this. Also to make it really easier get RH 7.2 the install program lets you choose which OS to be the default boot.
    thinking........

Ok this is incredibly familiar. I think parents have some secret anti-fun society against us. Anyway. If you don't mind, I use a boot floppy this way nothings tampers with MBR (nothing annoys parents more than booting up to "Missing Operating System" or the like) Just run expert install and choose all defaults except when it wants to make boot floppy. Choose yes. This system works great for me and Windows in none the wiser.
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

ooh, i'm goin to have to try that root. even tho i have my own computer =)
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.

Thanx for all the help and could someone explain what lilo is. and on another point if i have two hard drives C and D but C is 35 gigs and is where windows is and D only has .99 gigs of free space left would that be enough for and would that work as another hard drive?
    thanx

lilo is a boot manager for Linux.. there is another one but i forget ........ for the size of linux sorry i don't know
    I am newbie who want to be programmer (~6~)

lilo is a boot manager for Linux.. there is another one but i forget ........ for the size of linux sorry i don't know
    GRUB is the other main boot manager for Linux. It's distributed with RH 7.2, and I'm sure it's available as an RPM or some such. But if LILO is working for ya ... .99 GB would make for an "okay" platform to learn on - 256MB swap and the rest as a quick-n-sloppy root mount will work. If you select one WM and go easy on the junk you don't need, but install the "Kernel Development" and other such packages, you'll be looking at a pretty close fit. If you can (e.g. via FIPS - don't know where it is in development now (but it's free) - or with Partition Magic) resize the free pool for a 2GB slice, you'll find that the system will be a lot more extensible, and that you can pretty much go nuts with the package installs. On <1GB with 1/4 of that in swap, you'll possibly run out of space if you're not careful. Of course, if you *really* want to learn, then don't use a WM. They're for wussies.

~N~

VMWare

GRUB can suck my ass. LILO on the other hand is the Bomb. LILO stands for "Linux loader" (FYI)

Now if your fascist parents don't play video games, then I recommend installing VMWare. Although you will have to get a little more RAM. It is the way to go. That is if you are concerned with uptime like I am. There is no reason to reboot your system.... Except for hardware upgrades. I have been using VMWare forever. My box has 127 days of uptime. My last reboot was to update my Kernel. (127 days. Hummm. I think I need to build a new Kernel again. 2.4.18 is out I think) I can run Windows inside of Debian great. In face I don't remember Winblowz ever crashing on me while running within Linux. Now, running on its own. That is another story.

Good thing for me, Counter-Strike, and Jedi Knight II both run on Linux.

Well good luck. I think i'll compile 2.4.18 now.
    America: A glittering abundance and national self-absorption