Computer Security careers

Thread: Computer Security careers

Question Computer Security careers

If anyone here is in an internet/network security related job, could you please tell me a few things about it? Things like working conditions, benifits, frustrations, minimum education and skill levels, advancement, and entry-level salaries would be greatly appreciated.
    *sigh*
    Nostalgia isn\'t what it used to be.

http://upl.mine.nu/uplfolders/upload1/feckit.jpg

Yeah. Nice post. .. I think i'd like to subscribe to this one. ..looks neato! =)
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I do unix systems administration and it's a great job. Been doing it for 7 years now and there's a lot of satisfaction with it. However, politics and general fsckers usually are the downsides. I love the job to no end but the people make it a hassle. Long hours, 24/7 coverage, other things like that are particulary regular but getting it done and w/o a vendor is a great feeling.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Pay is decent. Hours suck. When the pager goes off, you gotta go! Of course you get plenty of headaches from the users.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Network programmer describes my title best I suppose and I look after firewalls and proxies as part of that. Working conditions are nice since I work for a university and we have one of the largest networks around. You get to work with some really cool stuff. Benefits include less stress (ie not a commercial environment). Frustrations include users, hehe . Minimum education is degree level. Skill levels - some of the guys I work with are absolutely amazing with the amount of stuff they can do. Entry level positions kick off at around $45K AUD.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Been working in Network Security for about 18 months, got the job straight after uni, and found the learning curve to be somewhat steep. But with dedication, a lot of reading and researching, the odd course here and there, you should be fine.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Net Admin during my Network Management Cert IV training.. hassles? stupid things still wont work.. grrr.. then realizing the mistake is a small minor bit..

ermm.. users who cant even tell whats wrong with their computers... or atleast what made them thing that theres somefin wrong wid da thing..

stupid DoS attacks.. yeah..

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Like they all said. I am the only computer person at my company. Wouldn't be working here, but its a long story. Anyway, I started at about $23K a year.

For just security, it normally starts around $35-40K a year depending on where you live. You definately want an education, and/or some type of certification. Either CP-FW1 or giac. Check www.sans.org for more information about the GIAC certifications....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Just started my security job, today is day three. I have been a net admin at a small school district the past year while I finished college. I don't really know how the conditions will be but it is a nice pay raise over the net admin job. Plus I get to move back home. Austin is the $h1t.
    A squirrel with no nuts will soon starve.