Thread: And finally...Situation #4

Question And finally...Situation #4

Ok, here's situation #4:

Andersen & Sons is a large marketing firm with four offies in the Chicago area. Each office has Windows 2000 server, and all servers are in a single domain. One office accommodates the administrative and business department, one is used for market research, and the other two are printing and publishing.

The IT department in Andersen is undergoing major restructuring. In the meantime they have hired you as a consultant to help with a few special projects.

1. Within each of the four servers there are from 15-20 shared folders that are accessed by various users throughout the firm. The problem is that users getting confused about wish folders are on which servers. As a result, they waste alot of time trying to find the information that they need. Andersen has asked you to help them develop a way to make the folders easier to find and access. Explain to Andersen's administrative team how Dfs work and how it can be of value in their situation. Suggest a ver general Dfs folder structure and that they might implement.
    2. The director of training at Andersen calls you and explains that they have hired a new server administrator, but the new administrator has worked with other server operating systems, not with Windows 2000. Prepare an explanation for the new administrator about how to set up Dfs in a domain and how to limit the amount of disk space that a single user can occupy.
    3. The firm now needs Microsoft Office XP to be installed for the use of the Administrative offices. Explain in general terms how to install the software, and what steps need ot be taken in preparation for this server installation.

Ok, that's it!!! YEA!!!! haha. But I think that I'm comfortable w/ Question #3....too bad I can't tell them what I really think of XP, huh?

Can anyone help me w/ this one?

Re: And finally...Situation #4

Originally posted here by emilygolfgirl
    Ok, here's situation #4:

Andersen & Sons is a large marketing firm with four offies in the Chicago area. Each office has Windows 2000 server, and all servers are in a single domain. One office accommodates the administrative and business department, one is used for market research, and the other two are printing and publishing.

The IT department in Andersen is undergoing major restructuring. In the meantime they have hired you as a consultant to help with a few special projects.

1. Within each of the four servers there are from 15-20 shared folders that are accessed by various users throughout the firm. The problem is that users getting confused about wish folders are on which servers. As a result, they waste alot of time trying to find the information that they need. Andersen has asked you to help them develop a way to make the folders easier to find and access. Explain to Andersen's administrative team how Dfs work and how it can be of value in their situation. Suggest a ver general Dfs folder structure and that they might implement.
    2. The director of training at Andersen calls you and explains that they have hired a new server administrator, but the new administrator has worked with other server operating systems, not with Windows 2000. Prepare an explanation for the new administrator about how to set up Dfs in a domain and how to limit the amount of disk space that a single user can occupy.
    3. The firm now needs Microsoft Office XP to be installed for the use of the Administrative offices. Explain in general terms how to install the software, and what steps need ot be taken in preparation for this server installation.
    Ok, that's it!!! YEA!!!! haha. But I think that I'm comfortable w/ Question #3....too bad I can't tell them what I really think of XP, huh?

Let me ask first are you studing for your MCSE?Cause this sounds like a question from 70-210 test
    Distributed File Service is just a way to link and replicate file shares from multiple servers it creates a root directory that branches like a*directory* tree for ease of file navigation and traversing the file directory.Setting one up is easy to do if you've worked with adv serv b4!!! Just go to configure server in admin tools and select create DFS it ask you from there if your installin a new DFS root of looking for an exsisting one.
    as for disk space and I'm sure Linux has this too you can apply quotas for each user to limit disk space on the server
    as for xp office which is entirely different from 'XP' the OS (although there is a great white paper on XP office vunerabilities you should read)
    you could publish the app and use the msi installer feature to upgrade across the net and even specifically apply it to individual groups and OU's if youd like
    all this info is available @
    http://www.microsoft.com
    check it out
    have fun golfing

Thank you for replying.....no, i'm not studying for MCSE, yet, although I am taking a class in Windows 2000 Server.

~To know me is to LOVE me!!

can anyone else help?

Can anyone else offer any suggestions to this one? Situation #4?

~To know me is to LOVE me!!

Yeah don't cut and paste from the Osborne/McGraw Hill MCSE books, I am sorry I have to agree with AKB on this one I knew what the situation was before I finished...reading the post, however my best sugestion is the one that we have in the Army, say hey these are the +/- of the OS and the file system, sound good? And do it
    Beware the quiet ones...

Are they expecting remote installation for Office XP? Like with Active directory and MSI? (My guess would be yes, but I've haven't used AD much yet so can't really help)...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss