Thread: Long time, no see....Hey again, everyone!!!

Question Long time, no see....Hey again, everyone!!!

Hey everyone.

It's been a while since I have been on here, sorry. I've been major busy w/ school and working and all. Now I have a question to ask regarding my homework that I have to have turned in in a couple of hours. I know what I wanna say, but I have to word it "professionally". Can anyone give me a couple of pointers on this one?

Here's the situation:

You have been hired by a large restaurant called Habibi's. Habibi's has a small network of 20 client workstations and a Windows 2000 server. Seven of those workstations are inside the restaurant and are used by the table servers to place customer orders. Three of the workstations are used by the owner and the business management staff, and the rest are for in the kitchen to serve the chef's staff. My job is to set up the Windows 2000 server and train two of the business management staff on its operation.

(ok, I've gotten all the questions to this down, just this one I need help w/ the wording)

#5. The owner and management staff use portable computers to connect to the network. Is there a way for them to take files from certain folders to work on at home then easily update their work on the server the next day? If so, how?

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated!!!!! And thank you very much.

Welcome back... Dont know you... But welcome back anyway...

^_^
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Well, thank you very much. I used to get on here alot more than I do lately, just can't seem to find the time. But I have always vey much enjoyed this site. Very informative to a semi-newbie like myself. :-)

So, do you have any suggestions to my delima?

Smile

Welcome back
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

tha answer you look for is in offline files.
    look into enabling offline files and you will have your answer
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Welcome back

Like avenger_jcc said, there is a service called offline files in win2k and xp. Basically, any files you move there will be updated to whatever the most recent version is. So if the file is taken home when you reconnect the next day, it will update the file on the server. Don't remember all the specifics, but that is what you are looking for.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

So you decided to come back eh? hehehe
    For your question, do you mean portable comps as in laptops etc? Or do you mean handheld ones like iPaq/palm?
    If it's a handheld comp, then you could write your own program in visual basic for the handheld to automatically grab and put files on the fileserver (by wirless network ofcourse). There's also M$ product for iPaq's, where you just put the ipaq in the cradle, and it will automatically synchronize the files on the ipaq and computer (or in your case, fileserver or main computer).
    For laptops, i can think of a wireless network being setup. Once someone enters the wlan, they log into the fileserver, do their stuff, and their done!
    Is that the kind of answer your looking for? Or is it too late now?
    Cheers!
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Talking

Thanks EVERYONE!!! I found exactly what I was looking for w/ the offline folders. Thank you all for helping out!!! I do greatly appreciate your help. Thank you so much. You have saved my life!!!

I won't stay gone so long next time. :-)

and Morfius, I was also thinking of the wireless network, but I think the offline folders is more what the instructor is looking for. Thanks though!!! And it's never too late for a GREAT idea!!

Em

I'd set up 3 groups on your server Administrative (owners) Management, Staff and assign permissions to each group according to what they need access to. Setup network drives, then in Windows there is My Brief Case this allows for file sync and can be set to sync in either direction.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Glad to be of assistance.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.