How do you define genius?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you define genius?

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Question How do you define genius?

Pehaps this belongs in Cosmos. If it does, my apologies to Ennis.

During my criminal homicide class the other day, the professor was talking abouta serial killer (Don't remember who) who was considered a genius because he had an Intelligence Quotient of 142. I brought this up to my co-workers afterward and they said that genius is usually defined as having an IQ of over 140. I found this disturbing, because I have tested several times to around 148. I have never considered myself a genius before, nor do I now.

What I'm getting at is this: how do we as a society or individuals define genius? Is it by IQ alone or are other factors involved? The ability to form absract thought is totally different from "book smarts," which is also totally different from common sense.

Studies have shown that the SAT, the most popular aptitude test for college admission, is not an accurate measure of a student's intelligence.

So... is there a better way to dictate/decide/define who and/or what is "genius?"
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

genius-> someone that has the ability to think in such a way that seperates him/her frome everyone else. Usually considered bazarr or unorthodox thinking. Most "geniuses" we actually quite insane at the same time. genius~insanity.

there are tons of iQ tests out there, i saw a high school student get 167 on an unofficial one and only 122 on the official Mensa test take the real one, i scored 136 and was asked to retest

If you tell me Curiosity Killed the cat,
    Then I say he died a noble death.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I personally think there are different types of genius. ie, your typical "IQ" genius. An artistic genius, a computer genius, etc etc.

The typical term genius is completely bassed on your IQ. Like Digital_Jesus said, the Mensa test is probably the best "acurate" test I have seen. I have scored anywhere from about 95 to 170 depending on the test. I still haven't taken the Mensa test, so I can't tell you where I should be.

We can also consider a genius as being incredibly smart at a certain thing. ie, Michalengelo and Divinci were Artistic genius'. I don't know what their IQ was, but thats beside the point. Bethoven would have been a musical genius....especially since he couldn't hear. Bill Gates is a marketing genius. You can find an example in just about anything...

From dictionary.com
    1 a Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
    b A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: “One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius” (Simone de Beauvoir).
    c A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.
    2 a A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
    b One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
    3 The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
    4 pl. ge·ni·i (jn-) Roman Mythology. A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
    5 A person who has great influence over another.
    6 A jinni in Muslim mythology.
    I highly doubt the mythological beings are in question, so.... 1 shows your typical "genius" and 2 shows your specified genius.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Everybody is a genius in there own way
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Casper- I like your attitude
    Souleman-
    Bethoven would have been a musical genius....especially since he couldn't hear.
    I agree with you that Beethoven was a genius in his own right, but he didn't go deaf until late on in his life. Right before he wrote the ninth.
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    11001001 1011001100001011010111000110101001101110111110011101> Good point. He still wrote the ninth once he was deaf. His first sympohonies were works of genius, but once he was deaf, its almost more then genius. He truly was l337...
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Book smarts is no substitute for a great personality.
    You can be the smartest person in the world but if you’re an ******* you won’t get far.
    On the flip side if you’re a total dumbass but are good with people you can still make it. (Just look a Hollywood)
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    i took an IQ test at my therapist when I was 16 and I scored a 131, I later took a IQ test at www.IQ test.com and scored 148. So what ever that means.

But I agree with Casper,everybody is a genius in their own way. I think what makes somone genius is when NO_ONE in the world thinks like they do. If they have a tottally independant thought process you are genuis. Because if you can remain un-propigated and think for yourself.YOU ARE GENIUS
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

There's a thin line between genius and insanity. When I hear the word genius, one man comes to mind. No, not me ...Albert Einstein. He was a genius among geniuses.

Albert Einstein Time Line
    Albert Einstein Archives
    Quotes from Einstein
    Pictures of Einstein
    Albert Einstein: Time Magazine's Person of the Century

Remote_Access_