Thread: apple OSX Server

apple OSX Server

I have been looking for a server to replace our aging all pourpose server(web,Mail,Storage,ect.) and a friend of mine recomended apples new G4 server and after some research i have came to the conclusion that it is a monster
    at about 3,300 hundred i can have a dualie 1000g4 that outperformers aourding to an apple salesman quad Zeon 2000mhz that would cost me a hell of a lot more

My question is does any of use apple severs and if so what are your comments good or bad
    and OSX server based on darwinBSD how mature is this OS and is there any major security/stability issues

Yes i have goooooogled this and there isnt much out there
    So what do u guys think about apple servers does anyone out there actually use them?

If you tell me Curiosity Killed the cat,
    Then I say he died a noble death.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I haven't used them, but I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. As long as it is a general purpose server, you shouldn't have a problem, but if you want it to be a domain controller or something, you may have problems.

Just an FYI.... it isn't darwinBSD. Darwin is the name of the open source part of the OS. The actual OS is based on NeXT (which Steve Jobs invented). NeXT was a form of BSD using the Mach Kernal. That is what is open source in OSX. In other words, OSX is based on BSD with the Mach Kernal, and released the source for the kernal as darwin....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Thx for the FYI
    please people keep it coming

If you tell me Curiosity Killed the cat,
    Then I say he died a noble death.

I don't use OS X Server, but I do use OS X, which is very similar of course...

I have found it to be an excellent, stable, secure OS, with very few problems. To Date (one month in) the System it self has only crashed once, and very few programs have crashed on there own. The best part (at least to me) is that if one program crashes the others don't crash as well...

Over all I am very happy with it, though it does take some getting used to....and its not really a good system to use if you are short on either memory or Processor power....of course a dual 1 gig hz with a gig .5 of ram would not have that issue!

anyway, just my 2£ of info....feel free to IM me or PM me if you want... - Jimmy Mac
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Ive heard that OS X doesnt come with bash installed. Do you mac users prefer the korn shell over bash?
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Banned
    do do do da da da sorry felt like singing
    mac os x server rocks if you can afford the machinge to run it off its just not puuurfect unless you run it off a g4 but it is good with remote admin its hell secure atm one of the only ones is the damn ms word one as for stability not one crash on my home machine its been up for about 2 months not one crash as for server at school only been down once and it hasnt been hacked as off yet
    hope that help
    RiOTEr

Just to say this though. You can't really compare a Mac Processor to an Intel processors and an INtel Processor to a Sun Processor. It just doesn't work that way.. It's like comparing apples to bananas!
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

PC people say you can't compare Apple Processors and Intel Processors cause we allways kick ass!!!!

But seriously, comparing Apple processing speed and Intel is misguided, as the way those two systems work is totally different. A good rule of thumb is that a Mac Processor is something like twice as powerful as an equivilent PC processor...

Also something funny...IBM is pitching to build the new G5 processor....the current G4 is a Motorola, and Motorola is also pitching for the G5 contract....
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....