Thread: Stupid questions from Web Customers

Stupid questions from Web Customers

Ok - so this one probably wins the 'Most stupid customer of the month' award.

I got a phone call from a very distressed customer (whose site we host). He informed me that his web site had been compromised. So, understandably, at this point my arse twiched. I ask him /why/ he thought the site had been compromised. The answer? People could download files (html/images) from his website.

It took quite a while but I eventually convinced him that this was a feature rather than a bug
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Maybe I have more stupid customers than normal. I certainly hope so but here's another classic customer question.

The customer in question calls in and asks for a design makeover of his site (not a problem - it's on the pricelist). I create a task for the design team and fill in the customer information fields. Then you have a nice big blank space to fill in re the actual design requirements that the design crew build their look and feel from.

'What sort of thing do you have in mind?', I asked.

'Something less red', he replies.

'Can you be any more specific', I asked, trying not to spill my coffee for laughing.

'No. Not really.', came the rely.

So I deleted the task in despair and told him to call back when he could actually describe what it was he wanted.
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

ntsa - just as a matter of intrest what is the going rate for web-design? Say a small club site done in Flash - with a sister html site for those people without the flash plug-in? Am just asking cause I have been asked to do one and I have no idea how much to charge >_<;

Also it will need weekly updates to both sites - what would the usual charge for that be?

thanx v_Ln

We don't strictly do web design.

I wrote a content management system a couple of years back for local education authorities. Since then we (my company) branched out into buying groups and I have spend the time adding some extra functionality (self-care email/stats/e-commerce/site search/message board/etc) and trying to keep my iis install as secure as humanly possible.

What I'm saying is our business model is not really that of traditional web design - which for my money doesn't really work - did you ever hear of a company being sucsessful with a website /some-one/ else developed??

Our billing is also different therefore. We charge an up-front setup fee and a monthly subscription. Most upgrades including the site search facility, stats package and message board are FOC to setup, and are just added to the monthly subscription.

Flash is design work - with design work you just have to figure out how long it will take you, times it by your daily rate and double it (because when you get the clients 47th snagging list and you're down to your last knuckle you'll be glad you did). Oh, and always get at least half payment up front.

But I'm not bitter.

If it helps any though here's a pricelist: http://www.clickandbuild4you.co.uk/clickpricelist.pdf

No flames please - I'm not selling here - I provide this only for reference, because if you're not a UK buying group/Trade association with a membership of 100+ I couldn't sell anything to you any-hoo.
    Sir Winston Churchill.

ValHallen --

Windows user? Have a look at this tut I wrote for scripting telnet style connections with WSH. You look like to have enough Apoints to appreciate it!

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=226730
    Sir Winston Churchill.

ntsa - thanx for the pricelist/link....looks like a nice tut haven't had a chance to look at it properly (soz) but have added it to b/marks for when i do have the time u know what its like >_<

v_Ln

heh appologies to anyone who noticed my [glowpurple]quadrople[/glowpurple] post - browser prob...didn't seem to be sending out info to antionline server when i clicked on send button so i waited a couple of minutes - hit it again still nothing...well you see where this is going

soz again

cool..

ntsa: you trade links?
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.