Is this a virus or what?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a virus or what?

Is this a virus or what?

Anybody ever hear of a virus that does nothing excempt reverse file extensions? E.g. .gif files are changed to .fig files and .zip files are changed to .piz files (so of course .exe files don't change).
    live life, don\'t just endure it

(Strange when I hit return while typing my message it was posted)

Anyway to continue, I noticed this happening when my sister told me she had problem opening any files on her computer. I went over to her place for a look and quickly found the problem and deleted the program that was doing these conversions.

(The return thing happened again whats going on?)

Anywho, my sister Nortan antivirus software on her machine it automatically updates everytime she connects to the internet (twice or three timesa week usually) and it didn't recognise the program as a virus. Why not?

Banned
    Ummmm.......I'm not sure what you mean by the return thing and you just have earned....

LOTS OF NEGATIVES!!!

(Goddammit, is it just me this is happening to?)

My sister has just broken up with her boyfriend of a few years and it just so happens that he is a programmer. I suspect that he wrote this program and installed it on her machine as a petty act of revenge. My sister ain't all that handy with computers so it would have taken forever for her to find the problem herself (something he knew). Before I pay him back for that piece of trickery I'd like to know if it is a recognised virus, I wouldn't like to mess up his machine if it wasn't him.

A word of caution: Whatever you do, don't seek revenge. Chances are, you'll get the wrong guy. Chances are, you will then be punished. Chances are, by seeking revenge you will only prove your 1337 skillz to yourself, and prove kiddiot-ness to everyone who hears of it... clean the program from the infected machine, and leave it at that.

God bless,
    --PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

AntiOnline Newbie
    When you say "...when I hit return while typing my message it was posted," I'm assuming you mean that you hit a return to make a new paragraph, and instead of making a new paragraph, the message was posted.

Sounds like you had better be checking out your own computer, too, if that is the case.

Originally posted here by JRoc
    Ummmm.......I'm not sure what you mean by the return thing and you just have earned....

LOTS OF NEGATIVES!!!
    Jroc, he was having a problem posting. Its obvious if you read that text. I truly hope you didnt assign him negatives, and if you did, it was in very very poor taste. And for the contents of your post, yes or no, you earn some from me.

Avenger

Banned
    I didn't give him negs.

abuse@.......... nevermind the file, the techs at the ISP will get some field experience...don't violate any laws in 'revenge'...there are better ways...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor