Put things in perspective

Thread: Put things in perspective

Put things in perspective

I came across the following stats and found them interesting:

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:

There would be:

57 Asians

21 Europeans

14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south

8 Africans

52 would be female

48 would be male

70 would be non-white

30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian

30 would be Christian

89 would be heterosexual

11 would be homosexual

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.

80 would live in substandard housing

70 would be unable to read

50 would suffer from malnutrition

1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth

1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education

1 would own a computer
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.

Banned
    Can I be the male white non-christian college-educated heterosexual with a computer, owning the 41% of the entire world's wealth that those six Americans don't own?

Thx in advance.

70 would be unable to read
    Able, not unable

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Thats pretty interesting.... could you show me the formula you used to come to this conclusion?

I would be white, heterosexual, Christian. Would be male from the Western Hemisphere
    would suffer from malnutrition, and would own a computer. Heheh....
    Where do you guys fall?
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

I'm with Dr Toker on that one :P not sure about malnutrition, though......
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

bah, that thing has been going arround the net for atleast 2 years, and i see it atleast every 3 months. IMO, its mostly BS. thost statistics dont seem right to me...for example :
    "89 would be heterosexual

11 would be homosexual"

erm, thats 100% of the people, what about all the bi-sexual people? do they suddenly not exist?

besides, true statistics never add up to a full 100% without adding in a "other" catagory(well, not that kind anyway, the have and have not things can, but not this). for instance, there are also people who are sometimes identified as "tri-sexual" who enjoy sleeping with men, women, and various animals. granted, that percentage must be tiny, but if "11%" of all the people in the world are homosexual atleast 1% has to be bi.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

"36% of statistics are made up on the spot"
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

oh....just thought of looking over at snopes for this...yep, they have it and have a through discussion of the percentages represented and why they are less than accurate. check it out:
    http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/populate.htm
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

i think i drove thru that town once
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”