Red Hat + XP ?

Thread: Red Hat + XP ?

Red Hat + XP ?

yeah I installed XP over my existing partition of Red hat. I thought I configured Linux correctly to show a boot-up list so I can easily pick if i want windows or Linux. But it didnt' work and I'm not sure if windows automatically deleted Red hat or if it's just hiding in the background of my harddrive. Is three a tool or anything I can do to see if Red Hat is still there, and if it is I will need somthing to boot up into Red Hat. Since XP wants to dominate my computer.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    hmm... FreeOn use a RedHat bootdisk. You did made one, right! I hope so. Always make a boot floppy disk. Use that floppy to access your RH then you can edit lilo to make a boot menu, either place lilo in the MBR or place it in the first sector of the partition (eg the super block, cause like NT4 and Win2K, XP will kill your linux boot loader).

See the link bellow to make a dual boot XP / RH

http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.ph...icle&artid=470

"This HOWTO specifically details how to create a dual boot system using Redhat Linux 7.2 and Windows XP with a NTFS file system using the GRUB boot loader."

goto control panel >> administrative tools >> computer managment >> disk managment.
    check to see if there is some partitions that are unknown. If there are then those should be your linux partitions.

BTW when you install windows after linux it will blow away your linux boot manager.(I found out the hard way) Try booting from your boot disk and see if it works.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

The is also othere software that will manage your mutilple OS's but i forgot the name of it....if no one post anything else here by the time i get home I will find the name of the software and post it, but like VictorKaum a linux boot up disk will works pretty much as well. I have mandrake on my xp box and it was workin fine so once u get into linux u might want to config Lilio, that might help.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

hmm...there is another partition on the hd, but when i use the boot up disk nothing happens. Maybe XP killed Linux and left the partitions?

How many Linux partitions did you make?
    boot / root / swap / home ?

Did you change your partitions after you made the bootdisk? You need to be sure that the bootdisk points to an existing partition with a working linux loader. Otherwise you will encounter probs during boot up

Ok I got it to work, I mixed up the boot up disks. lol, somedays I could just shoot myself lol.

LOL... nice to hear you got it to work... next time label your disks

I did to label them, 'Linux Boot Disk" ROFl

lol oh well I just got home but i guess u got it working anyways
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,