POP3, IMAP, or what?

Thread: POP3, IMAP, or what?

POP3, IMAP, or what?

I am trying to figure out this problem...

While trying to use Outlook Express 5 the option to add your Hotmail E-mail account is given and the address is already chosen to download the folders and settings for this. However when you try to log on it says downloading folders and just hangs for hours on end...I can only assume this is for a few reasons.

1. Microsoft decided after the fact that having people check their E-mail over Outlook instread of going to the site was a bad idea and canceled the server.
    2. My Computer is **** and being a goverment one I have no choice
    3. I am doing something wrong and that is why I am asking for help...!

If this isn't possible could someone possibly tell me a POP3 server that I can use for free seeing as in I can't do crap from where I am at and I am on a LAN. TIA
    Beware the quiet ones...

I know the reason is not #1 because I always retrieve my Hotmail emails from OutLook Express. If your account is old, make sure your password is longer than 7 characters, because the POP server does not like passwords below 7 chars.
    SOrry i couldn't be of more help,
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

My password is longer than 7 charachters....and you say pop? Cause Outlook defaults with an HTTP setting.....if it is POP what are the servers?
    Beware the quiet ones...

TechieChick
    Do any of your hotmail folders contain a / in the name? That should generate errors, vs. hanging but it's worth a shot.

Nope just a standard account...standard folders nothing special
    Beware the quiet ones...

Just a guess here but Yahoo has started to charge for the POP3 /forwarding etc access, could be a change over like you want to have that access you are going to have to pay for it. Me not gonna pay hotmail or MS anything that is my spam account LOL like why would anyone pay Yahoo to forward spam from them as a default setting...dah! Looks like maybe hotmail is due to say web access free download it forward it..just $9.99 per month.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Yeah well Palemoon if you change your Address there to exclusive and have one for spam you don't have to worry about that..as far as Yahoo I know they charge and that is why I am not using them, however I hear you on what your saying
    Beware the quiet ones...

WTF is this...

Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 12019, Error Number: 0x80004005
    Beware the quiet ones...

TechieChick
    Read here