Help with Drivers

Thread: Help with Drivers

Help with Drivers

I know I'm probably out of luck on this one, but just thought I'd ask in case one of you could help. I just installed Mandrake Linux 8.2 on my box. I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 7955. It originally came with Windows XP,and I'm running a dual boot setup. The problem is that on the Linux side I don't have the drivers I need for my keyboard and mouse. My keyboard is one of those HP multimedia things with quick connect internet buttons and the controls for the CD/DVD drive at the top. And the mouse is one with the wheel in the middle that you can use to scroll up and down pages (yeah, I love that). As it is now I can use the keyboard in Linux but the quick connect buttons and CD/DVD controls don't work as well as the shortcut buttons (shift F-7, etc.) And on the mouse the scroll wheel doesn't work. Hewlett Packard doesn't make Linux drivers. So does anyone know where I can get a Linux multimedia driver for the keyboard and also another driver that will give full functionality to the mouse. Thanks for your help.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Re: Help with Drivers

i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Preacherman, I have the same box with the same "internet" keyboard...I have NEVER been able to get the mutlimedia side of things to work....Try emailing HP...You soon learn to live without it.....

As for the mouse.....try adding this line to the configuration-Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Example-

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "USB Mice"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Buttons" "5"

Or something close to that. Hope that helps.....

Hi Conf1rm3d_K1ll,
    Well, I suppose we must make some sacrifices for using a superior operating system . Thanks for saving me a lot of t ime looking for something that doesn't exist. I'd rather have the mouse scroll bar over the internet buttons any day. I'll have to try your work-around. Thanks for your help. Btw, how do you like your Pavilion overall?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Banned
    Well, I suppose we must make some sacrifices for using a superior operating system
    You are the first person I know who has actually said that Linux is superior than XP (that says something about the people I know, dont it ) (Lots of people say its better but never superior) Wow, I think you should get rid of Windows XP alltogether unless its a shared system or something

PS - I had a Gateway computer a few months back with multemedia keyboard, when I installed Wine (http://www.winehq.com) And then installed the program for the keyboard it worked, you should try that out.....

Originally posted here by preacherman481
    Hi Conf1rm3d_K1ll,
    Well, I suppose we must make some sacrifices for using a superior operating system . Thanks for saving me a lot of t ime looking for something that doesn't exist.

It might exist....just that I haven't found it. If you have better luck than me please let me know.

Originally posted here by preacherman481
    I'd rather have the mouse scroll bar over the internet buttons any day. I'll have to try your work-around. Thanks for your help. Btw, how do you like your Pavilion overall?

I LOVE the Pavilion! Obviously, I had to make a few little changes such as a heap more RAM and a more efficent CPU heatsink/fan. It'll run all day without a problem. I've installed the SETI screensaver so even when I'm not around the box still earns it's keep searching for ET life forms..And as for the Celeron CPU.....I can't fault it! It did have some slight trouble with overheating but that's been sorted out....