Thread: Some help with XP security

Question Some help with XP security

Well I used LANguard do to security scan on me. LANguard pretty much just looks for some open ports and gives some security info for your computer. Befor I start let me tell ya I'm running windows xp home edition and I have BlackIce. Well after it scaned myself it came back with alot of information and I was surprised becouse I though I turned most of my services off and disabled netbios. Well it also came back saying that I had 7 users will I only have 3, besides the 3 i knew I had it said I had Administator, Guest, Help Assistence, Support_3888945a0, and then the 3 i knew I had. Well I went in to user acounts to make sure no more accounts have been added and none were. Well does any one know how to delete these accounts? I have administator privlige for the acount I use. Ok well the second thing is that the scan said it did a SNMPwalk on me and was abel to see all the service's i was runing and the name of the acounts and some other things. I want to disable this so I looked in the running services and it did not show up..so i dunno. Also the scan showed that I had the netbios ports open and I made sure to turn it off (the only files it was sharing was a print file). I didn't make this post as detalied as I could so if I left something out that could help u to help me let me know. I also have the scan results but I would not like to just post it so if u would like me to I will PM it to ya.

PS. Don't give me any slack about runnin xp I know about how "un-secure" it is. I'm also runing linux on this box too but I'm waiting to get a new modem so I can get on-line with linux
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

Ah the windmodem curse. I feel your pain.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Why Linux Sucks compared to XP. Well I'm running Pro version and the Linux on the other half of the HD.

Some things you might want to verify, I'm not going to go over everything in there just because I don't want to and your a smart guy so you can figure it out.

Go to Run=>gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor)
    Go to Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Users (Where you extra users are at)

Those are the two big ones I think that have the most options that you need to setup correctly. Lots of cool **** in the Group Policy Editor

cwk9 - lol yeah I looked forever to find a driver for my modem for linux but no such luck so now I got to get me another one

freeOn - thanks for the help, but I think becouse I have home edition I don't have gpedit.msc and I also don't have users under the computer managment. I will be getting xp pro soon so I will be able to do what u said once I get that
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

ok Cool, I've never experimented with the Home Edition. But the Pro is pretty awsome I like it alot

yeah I'm getting ready to get another computer (old one{pII400mhz}) and network them. As soon as I get that box I'm going to get the pro edition. There is really not that much difernce just some networking options and ablitys i guess

Hi Mucolaca,
    I think to close port 139 and disable NetBios you need to do more than just disable file and printer sharing. You need to disable Netbios over Tcp/Ip. Here's a link to a FAQ at Steve Gibson's site. Read what it says about port 139. I was able to figure out how to do it for Windows XP from what they said.
    http://grc.com/cb-faq.htm#ports-139 .
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Thanks preacherman for the link, that fixed that problem.