Thread: Got me some listening ports

Lightbulb Got me some listening ports

Is this normal? Why do I have these?
    I also looked up what each port is but I still need yalls opnion

135 - epmap DCE endpoint resolution <-??
    445 - microsoft-ds Microsoft-DS <--????
    1025 - blackjack network blackjack <- do i just uninstall blackJack to get rid of this?
    1029 - ???
    5000 - commplex-main <-???

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:1029 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:5000 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

I no open program besides IE for typeing this, there is some back ground Apps but none that would be listening. I also have xp.

So does any one know what these port are/do and how do u "stop" them
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

Well, I know 5000 is the Universal Plug and Play (not to be confused with the plug and play system for detecting hardware) networking thingymabob (don't you just love when I use technical languaage?). There is a known exploit for this, so I hope you've installed the patch from Microsoft. I think you can disable it from the services menu (Go to the "run" command line interface and type in "msconfig" without the quote and hit enter. You should be able to find it from there. Or, you can go to Steve Gibson's web site www.grc.com and download a small utility called Unplug and Pray (People might not like Steve but he's got a great sense of humor). You can install it and use it to enable/disable Universal Plug and Play as you like. Hope this helps.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

str34m3r
    Well, 135,445, 1025, and 5000 are consistent with XP's port list. I don't remember port 1029, but it just sounds like some program asked for a port and windows gave it a nice port close to 1024. Shouldn't be a problem. Even though 1025 is listed as blackjack, tha port really doesn't have anything to do with blackjack. As with the 1029, it's just nice and close to 1024 so windows probably assigned it to some service that starts at bootup.

1025 = mstask

1029 = inetinfo, its normal port is 1028 on 2k

but if you want to be sure get fport from: http://www.foundstone.com

it'll tell you what processes are listining on those ports and its freeware
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

thanks for the help guess its nothing to worry about, and that fport program is pretty cool, I was just using a big txt file to look up port numbers but it was probley out dated.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

its not that your list is outdated, any porgram can use any port, the assigned ports are just to maintain a standard on majorly used ports. theres nothing like the fcc enforcing it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

oh i know, but like some trojans change port numbers with newer versions and also other software so the more recent the list the more accuret it will be.