AO reviewed in "Steal this computer book 2"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO reviewed in "Steal this computer book 2"

Banned

AO reviewed in "Steal this computer book 2"

I stole this book (really) called "STEAL THIS COMPUTER BOOK 2" and saw a review of AO. Here is how it went:

One of the more controversial hacker websites is AntiOnline (www.antionline.com), which not only provides hacker news, virus source code, and Trojan Horse programs, but also maintains a comprehensive profile of hackers for use by law inforcment agencies. Naturally, AntiOnlines cooperation with the police has upset many hackers, many of them whom retaliate by breaking into AntiOnlines computers on a regulas basis. In fact, attempts to hack into AntiOnline are so common that AntiOnline now posts real-time logs showing the latest hacker attacks, attempted method of attack, target, and (when possible) the hackers internet address. To learn more about hacking from a hackers point of view check it out.

The part that gets me is the law enforcment part. I really don't think that a hacker that actually gives you a reason to arrest him/her would give a descriptive profile or even be a member of AO as to avoid such things as FBI or what not.

what do you people think on this review?

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    sounds about right

Flash M0nkey
    One of the more controversial hacker websites
    AO is a SECURITY web-site >_<;
    how we ever gonna get rid of all the wee Script Kiddies if books etc are constantly refering to AO as a hacker site????

v_Ln

yeah thats the bok that brought me to this site.

preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

Here's another reference to AO, this is from the book "Hack Attacks Revealed" by John Chirillo....it's only a brief reference to this site, but at least it identifies AO as a security site.
    Perhaps the best description of hacking, however, is atttributed to John Vranesevich, founder of AntiOnline (an online security Web site with a close eye on hacker activity). He called hacking the "result of typiclal inspirations"
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

an online security Web site with a close eye on hacker activity
    At least someone got it right.

Banned
    so, if you have 10 greenies and 1000 posts, you think the FBI will consider you a threat and monitor what you do?
    i really don't think this site promotes hacker activity. it is a site that you can learn from or talk to others about security. personaly, i don't want to be a malicious hacker, i just want to persue a career in this field because it is very interesting to me,so.. FBI or anyone else can go crack down on the real criminals, not people like me or others on this site!

Well, all I have to say is that if you're doing something illegal (ie. hacking major sites (or, should I say, any sites that aren't your's or haven't given you express permission to do so, etc) and you're browsing or posting here, you're one stupid mofo and deserve to get caught...

From what I have seen, however, there's a large contingent of smart/quick anti-hacking folks here, as well as a decent number of n00bs and a few kiddies. Personally, I'm here to pick up what I can from everyone and, hopefully, share what knowledge I have with the rest of you (hopefully without giving the kiddies too much "useful information" -- kinda like ASR in some respects, I guess... or, at least, I think that's where I first got the general idea/spirit).

As far as I'm concerned, the anonymity here is, well, something to (hopefully) keep even more spammers from adding my mailbox to their spam lists.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Valhallen. I know that people say: "But AntiOnline is a security site" but that doesn't change the fact that there is a lot of information about pro-malicious hacking, trojan horses, bomb-making, virii...etc

Banned
    Heh heh. I read that too. . .book isn't all that great, anyway, but this site does have a lot of resources to learn about, uh huh, 'hackerish' stuffage. . .sad that people(authors, media) can't differentiate b/w. . .here's some stuff to peruse and learn from and. . .here's some k3wl 5cr1975 fer da |4m3 to run and j4ck some stuff up. . .