Thread: IE security problem

IE security problem

Interesting problem...

one of my clients is a library in town.
    They are running a program called Fortress 101.
    Its a decent security/lockdown program that kind of stops access to things like start -> run etc...

problem is they go to IE and can access the entire hard drive by typing c:\ into the address bar...
    any way that I can stop them from accessing the local machine? Ive poked around, not that hard, but I figured this was the first place I could ask. (Id scour the net, but I thought Id save the time since Im at work and put it out)

Thanks in advance

Avenger

Not sure if this is going to help but you might want to check THIS link.
    It refers to internet security zones and the Reg. keys that control them. One of the keys they talk about is "My Computer". Changing this key may restrict access via IE.

Cheers:
    DjM

that didnt do it, it was interesting, but dont really apply...close...
    that is for setting it up so that the same zone settings are for each user. Or at least that was the tech teams take on it,.... ???
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Thought it might have a chance, I'll keep looking.

Cheers:
    DjM

heres the answer, as one of the techs found (as they come off the road they are plopping down next to me and thinking it up) lol
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/959
    thanks to all who gave it thought and especially to DJM
    Remember -

Banned
    IE = Security Problem, so i dont understand what the problem is

My school used to use Fortres.101, that is until a week after they installed it we found out all the passwords A tip to you is to take out Microsoft Backup Program Files/Accessories/Backup.exe That program lets you change the fortres folder from hidden to full read/write access in seconds, In other words, I could take the .fg3 file and crack it, so thats one risk for you... Another one would be the Microsoft Word/Works/Office, When a user presses File-Open and types in *.* it will show all the files.... The IE hole isnt really big, You can set the C:/ as a restricted site in the preferences, That should do it....

What operating system are they using? If they are using Windows 2000 and NTFS, you could lock access to the hard drive using the security of NTFS. The administrator would have full access to the hard drive but any other user could be specifically blocked from accessing the drive.

Opps, guess you found your answer in the time I was posting my reply. Sorry I was late...
    - Maverick

It is win98 anyway, otherwise Id have NTFS permissions all over that box :P

thanks guys... they will be going to 2000 soon. Then its MY turn
    Remember -

LOL, you go avenger....lol yeah I had that happen to me. I had e-mailed someone that was pretty high up on the food chain compared to me and my 1SG and Commander got really upset. I am using Windows 2000 so they told one of my co workers to lock my computer down....well him knowing what I know for the most part locked EVERYTHING down...I mean I wasn't allowed to view the c drive or anything and I only had one program that I was allowed to run...well that program opened any file that I chose...lol god I love computers...so when they took it away from me cause I couldn't listen I got pissed....needless to say I got it back
    Beware the quiet ones...