Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we alone, If not what are they waiting for?

Webius Designerous Indiginous

Are we alone, If not what are they waiting for?

Hmmm, I'm sure this has prolly been discussed in detail in the past, but here goes anyway.

Do you think that we are alone in this universe, or cosmos? If not, Do you think that there are more advanced societies than us? If there are more advanced civilizations, have they contacted us? On a similar note, do you think they are waiting for a certain time when we have discovered interstellar space travel, or some other advanced technology before contacting us?

Taken from the motion picture Contact.
    If we are alone, it seems to be an aweful waste of space.

Re: Are we alone, If not what are they waiting for?

Originally posted here by xmaddness
    If we are alone, it seems to be an aweful waste of space.
    I first started reading this post, that quote up there from "Contact" is exactly what I thought of!
    Anyways...I believe that there is other life out there somewhere, but they haven't stumbled across us yet-or vice versa in the small amount of space that we've travelled ourselves....
    About a month ago, I watched a bit of History channel about S.E.T.I. and there was actually a signal that a group found (I think it was in the '70s) that was actually arguably proven to be something other than a star, planet, or blackhole. If I remember correctly, the signal lasted for about 5 minutes...maybe somewhere else here has more info on this, but I thought it was pretty kewl......some ppl argue that it wasn't intelligent life.......
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

hmmmc ouldn't find any info on google about them actually recieving a signal - might take a better look for it later.......as for are we alone, I doubt it but any other civiliasations are prolly doing the same as us and scanning space for signs of life - maybe someday one of us will spot the other but with there being so much space to cover who knows when that will be??? Maybe they have found us and tried to contact us but don't have the technology to do so with anything other than radio which could take thousands of yrs to reach us...

v_Ln

I haven't seen this thought brought up that much in science or science fiction, but what if we humans are the most advanced species in the universe?
    Why am I still here?

Do you think that there are more advanced societies than us?
    Of course there are more advanced societies than us. Havent you ever been to Canada? I never knew there was a such thing as a big city that wasnt all dirty and ghetto looking until I went to Toronto.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

If you're impressed with Toronto, try Vancouver next. The Canadians have clean, large cities.

Yes there is other life out there, but it exists in a different dimension.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Besides would you want to vist earth if you were from another planet. With all the trouble that is happening here chances are they would be killed for being different. I believe that if and when we finally get our **** together and stop killing each other then aliens will make contact but till then we`re on our own.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

I believe that aliens would try to contact almost immediately after discovering us for several reasons-the best reason I can think of is for the exchange of information

Free round of information for anyone in here!
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

I believe there are other civilizations out there rather than us. It would be self centered of us to think that we were the only ones in the universe. One day, probably not in this life time, we or they will find each other.

2 things to say :

1) If Aliens came here they would probably eat us!

2) Concerning Canada, Montréal is a nice city but beware its inhabitants, they are close to aliens and will probably abuse you and probe all your orifices! lmao
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]