Thread: Wanted: Quotes

Banned

Post Wanted: Quotes

Heya guys and gals,

I'm looking for QUOTES. That's right, QUOTES: I'm making a QUOTES-section for my website - and I can use your help
    I'm not gonna make an entire database of each and every quote that I can lay my hands on (Google already did that, and my ISP gave me only 50megs of space), I'm looking for the catchy ones, the ones that everybody knows (but no-one has a clue who said them first) - and I'm looking for the ones that nobody knows... If you think you can help me out, just post your quote (also state the original quoter, and - if possible - a little background, and - if not an original English quote - a translation).

Suggestions for other categories are also welcome.
    Thanks in advance

Here are some quotes to get you started...

Computers
    "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense."
    - Edgar Dijkstra.

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
    - Bjarne Stroustrup.

Diplomacy
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great."
    - Golda Meir (1898-1978) to a visiting diplomat.

Music
    "Assassins!"
    - Arturo Toscanini (1867-1957) to his orchestra.

"Trust and you'll be trusted, says the liar to the fool".
    - Peter Steele (Type-O-Negative), in 'Unsuccesfully coping with the natural beauty of infidelity'.

Movies
    "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - from John Carpenter's 'They Live'.

Philosophy
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855).

"Attention to health is life greatest hindrance."
    - Plato (427-347 B.C.).

"Plato was a bore."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900).

"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal."
    - Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910).

"I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy."
    - Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961).

"Hemingway was a jerk."
    - Harold Robbins.

Science
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
    - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut.

Sports
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    - Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956).

"I'll moider da bum."
    - Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."

- Unknown.
    DjM

"Pain makes man think, thought makes man wise, and wisdom makes life bearable."
    Also try this link. http://www.pawprints.celerity.co.uk/sigs.htm
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

Here's a few for you

"If you don't learn the rules nobody can accuse you of cheating."
    - Unknown

"A mediocre idea that generates enthusiasm will go further than a great idea that inspires no one."
    - Mary Kay Ash

"Every trial endured and weathered in the right spirit makes a soul nobler and stronger than it was before."
    - James Buckham

"We keep moving forward, opening up new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
    - Walt Disney

"The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
    - Charles Du Bos

"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.
    - Bertie C. Forbes

"Satisfaction lies in the effort not the attainment. Full effort is full victory."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

"There's an important difference between giving up and letting go."
    - Jessica Hatchigan

"What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve."
    - Napolean Hill

"The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.' "
    - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."
    - Elbert Hubbard

"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left."
    - Hubert Humphrey

"A prudent question is one-half of wisdom."
    - Francis Bacon

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

"I am always willing to learn, however I do not always like to be taught."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

"It's the constant and determined effort that breaks down all resistance and sweeps away all obstacles."
    - Claude M. Bristol

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials."
    - Chinese Proverb

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude."
    - Scott Hamilton

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther, Jr. King

"It is funny about life: if you refuse to accept anything but the very best you will very often get it."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
    - George Bernard Shaw

"The marble not yet carved can hold the form of every thought the greatest artist has."
    - Michelangelo

"Give me a museum and I'll fill it."
    - Pablo Picasso

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

"Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."
    - George Bernard Shaw

"If you want to win anything-a race, your self, your life-you have to go a little berserk."
    - George Sheehan

"There is great treasure there behind our skull and this is true about all of us. This little treasure has great, great powers, and I would say we only have learned a very, very small part of what it can do."
    - Isaac Bashevis Singer
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.

My signature.
    Why am I still here?

Thumbs up

"Some people are born stupid. Others have to work at it."

"You can't get much better than perfect."

And, of course, my favorite Churchill

If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age, made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will say, "This was their finest hour."
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Al Capone- "You can get much further with a kind word and a gun then you can with a kind word alone"...

You asked for them here are some Quotes:To be great is to be misunderstood-Ralph W Emerson also by him All mankind love a lover.
    Thomas Edison- Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
    Philip Chesterfield- Be wiser than other people if you can, but do not tell them so. An injury is much sooner forgotten than an insult. Adivice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
    T Fuller- A broken friendship may be soldered but will never be sound. A small leak will sink a great ship. A stitch in time saves nine. All doors open to courtesy. Bacchus hath drowned more men than Neptune. Every ass loves to hear himself bray.Gossiping and lying go together.
    Ive got more but would have to find them.

No good deed goes unpunished.