The Great Security Backlash

Thread: The Great Security Backlash

The Great Security Backlash

"Security" has been a kind of buzz word ever since Microsoft decided to try and convince the world that security is an issue that they intend to address. Whether they've actually done anything about this is debatable I guess. But I think it's fair to say that the security issues have really been in the spotlight over the past year.

In the establishment of new technologies/ideas there tends the initial buzz followed by a backlash because people tend to get sick of hearing everyone singing the praises of this wonderful new "thing" and decide to actually question what's going on. More often than not people become skeptical and over critical of the new technology.

If the technology has any real value it will usually get past this phase. Things start to settle down and people accept it for what it is.

Or it all falls on its ass. People come to their senses and decide that enough is enough. So they put an end to the fad.

Now that the Microsoft-induced haze is beginning to clear some other schools of thought are coming across. Here's an example I read recently.

Considering all possible threats is a nice, creative process, but there is little evidence to suggest its practical benefit, other than funding of security-related projects that may not be needed. So, in many ways, it wastes resources. ~Eric Shaw - ex-CIA
    And what about this.

most businesses already had quite adequate security systems in place and personnel trained to deal with incidents. ~Dr Peter Tippett - Norton security products inventer
    Is it just me or are we seeing the start of a backlash against the "let's be more security-focused" buzz? Anyways, here's the links that I got these quotes from. Check it out.

Security myths costing firms

Warning on Cyberattack 'Exaggerated'
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Backlash for sure!!!

Ostrichs - all of them.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Well, you know, you are quoting an ex-CIA and a current Norton dude. That pretty much says it all. With all of the problems both of those organizations are having, it's no wonder they think security is waste.

Most companies do not have adequate measures in place. That's why hacking is so popular, and it's only going to get more popular.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I agree completely with KorpDeath...here is a short conversation between a underpaid and overworked security expert working for a small to medium-sized business on securty with his boss who reports to the board:
    Security expert: We need more funding to prevent people like this from breaking in for better hardware...
    Boss: Well it looks to me like whatever you're doing now isn't working, and I don't think more money will help, and we need what funding you do have in other departments, so I'm going to cut your funding by 30%...
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

cF_nM..... which of my servers where you hiding behind when you overheard my CEO tell me this
    Has to be one of the truest things about SME's or tight fisted short sighted bean counters trying to run Ops. places.
    Now where is my shotgun........

...and, as with all things in the media, a general short term memory syndrome that prevails throughout. Until the next scare, it all gets quietly forgotten about...except the overworked and harrassed types who spend their own time reading up lots on sites as superb and splendiferous (can i have some points please JP?) as this
    Who Cares Wins

I wonder if those Gov't types and those corp. sec. types aren't down playing it for there own reasons. Gov't to spy on us all, Corp Sec. types to boost profits down the road....just a crazy thought...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

could be, jcmcb.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.