Viewers & Authors

View Poll Results: Are you bailing him out?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i\'ll give something.

14 100.00%
  • No, i\'d rather not

0 0%

Thread: Viewers & Authors

Viewers & Authors

If you view a webpage, do you like it when they use frames?
    What do you think of frames?
    And, for the webdesigners, are frames givin any problems?

Please let me know.
    Bleh.

I don't like seeing frames on a site, because usually they aren't implemented properly and it makes it incredibly difficult to read the navigation bars because scrollbars are turned off so you can't see everything.

As a web designer myself, frames gave me a lot of trouble when I tried to use them originally, at the end of the day I decided it was easier overall to simulate the effect as much as possible by using tables instead. Tables make it easier to bookmark, navigate and index pages, as well as requiring fewer pages.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

GreekGoddess
    I agree with pwaring.

I've tried several times to use frames on my old site and it never looked how I wanted it to, no matter what ways I arranged it. Shortly after experimenting with it, I moved to tables, which is my favorite layout of choice. It's definitely easier to navigate, as pwaring said....and it doesn't take up the space. I find the editing easier too.

Banned
    Your site (or any site in that matter) should be cross browser compatible.... AntiOnline doesnt use any external plugins (flash, Java, etc.) Frames are not cross browser compatable (ever tried to use them in Lynx?) And as pwaring and GreekGoddess said they are usually used the wrong way.... People usually put frames in pixels and not percent.... If you do decide to use frames, test it on other browsers and resolutions first

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I don't mind frames, but like they all said, it is very rare that they are implemented prooperly. You have to use pixels for certain things, and percent for others. It all depends on how you want the layout done. With people using so many diifferent browsers and resolutions, it is hard to get frames to look right for everyone.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Ok, but what about iFrames?
    Bleh.

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I love my frames. Nearly every site I've done is in frames. I like being able to see all applicable links without waiting for the page to reload every time (slow modem). I do agree that when designing in frames, one MUST use percents and make sure everything is visible if scrolling is disabled.
    <bad joke>Maybe it's 'cause I wear glasses... frames=frames</bad joke>
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Damn it! I've been framed I tell ya. Honest mr.policeman. I did'nt do it.

Anyhow. I like frames if they are emplimented properly.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.