Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To hell with PC magazine

Post To hell with PC magazine

I was reading this months issue of PC magazine and going over an article about general purpose 2U and 3U servers. Constantly while reading this article I noticed negativity towards use of the linux OS and apache server software. One of the tests ran the same machine(a HP Netserver LP 2000r) running both Linux and Windows. With Linux all of the bench tests lagged way behind the windows tests. Later in the article, the results were blamed on the deficiency of their choice in webserver (apache). Of course the article doesnt mention that the webserver is a free alternative to the extremely expensive Microsoft webserver. What do they expect? You pay $1000 for Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and with that money MS can put more time into making their server more efficient and able to handle a bigger load. They need to understand that you get linux and apache for free and that unless they want Apache to charge $1000 for their software, it will never be able to be as efficient as the MS software. They should also say that even though apache isnt able to handle as big loads, that doesnt mean that it isnt an extremely powerful set of software that can handle enormous loads and that the bench tests have little to do with actual real world performance. I'd hate to have people turned away from using linux and apache because of one stupid magazine.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Which version Apache where they testing? I've heard that 2.0 keeps up with IIS. And i'm sure that they didn't mention anything about security either?
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Hmmm, IIS or Apache? That's a tough one. Sorry Microsoft, I think I'll choose software that works .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

coughwindowsuxcough, Apache the choise of the smart...
    I toor\'d YOU!

Yeah, well, bad-mouth it or not, it's running on more webservers around the world than macrosoft's crap.

You do realize that Ziff-Davis is in bed w/ macrosoft, right? Well, I'm sure it's been explained to Ziff-Davis that if they want Microosoft advertising money they need to 'play ball'.
    America - Land of the free, home of the brave.

I would imagine that Microsoft buy alot of advertising sapce in PC magazine...They probably just don't wan to "bite the hand that feeds it", the corporate, fascist bastards...

The Australian edition of PC world on the other hand constantly give out SlackWare with their magazine, have a special Linux section, and once sold a cd distro of RH7.1 for $10....

Fight the power!

Banned
    I'd go with Apache anyday....

Hell, I'm in a transition from Windows to Linux as we speak, and so far, the 20 crashes I suffered yesterday with windows is only pushing me more and more towards the tux!

Banned
    Dammit Confirm Kill...

I was just thinking of that as I posted....

LOL......the early bird gets the worm!!! (But the second mouse gets the cheese.......)

Banned
    I like that thought....

The second mouse gets the cheese