Thread: could someone maybe help me

could someone maybe help me

Hi,

I'm fascinated by computer viruses and i'm aiming towards a career in anti-virus research (well fingers crossed). I've emailed different people to try and get some information from them, cos i'm in my 2nd year in college and i want to know what modules i should take, but i've gotten no responses.

This is a silly post, i'm sorry, but does anyone have any advice/ideas in which direction i should head?

Thanks for reading this if you've gotten this far

Banned
    Basically, take something that involves programming...

Most computer viruses are created scripts of sorts.....
    To best understand how they are made and work, learn programming, like C....

Don't take Visual Basic.... it's just windowing stuff...

Yeah take Visual Basic and maybe Java....prehaps go toward XML and c# those being new Microsoft will rush to push them and then leave plenty of holes therefore making you a leader in your field....I use nothing but MS products so don't think I am a Linux head talking crap I just know my stuff as well
    Beware the quiet ones...

I'm fascinated by computer viruses and i'm aiming towards a career in anti-virus research (well fingers crossed). I've emailed different people to try and get some information from them, cos i'm in my 2nd year in college and i want to know what modules i should take, but i've gotten no responses.

This is a silly post, i'm sorry, but does anyone have any advice/ideas in which direction i should head?
    1) This isn't a silly post. Don't be afraid to ask for advice .

2) Ok, if you're into virii, forget 3rd Generation Languages like Java and VB. These languages are too high level to be of much use when writing/understanding how to write virii. But if you've never programmed before, then it's probably best to start with languages like these.

To understand how a virus works you need to know Assembly - you need to know it very well. A thorough knowledge of C is also a good idea. So my advice is to start learning C and Assembly and take it from there. You college should offer some units in these langauges.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

System_Overload
    All the best viruses are made with visual basic..... Try getting a book on viruses thats how I learned about them....

System_0verload