Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck

Unhappy Stuck with corrupt bz2 files

Hello everybody

I spent most of the other Monday downloading a version of Linux called Peanut Linux www.peanutlinux.org it was ok downloading but when I was half way though the installation it asked me I wanted to test the .BZ2 file which is what most of it is stored in It said that there would be no point installing if the files was damaged. Ok then I thought. I went ahead with it and it said there was an error to run the repair program( bzip2recover which was not with the setup files)
    I Managed to get hold of a Windows Port of the program needed to fix the file, But when it tries to fix the error the port is so good it trys to save to a linux hard disk.

Does anybody know of any (windows) programs that I can use to fix the error in the file because I am not really looking forward to having to redownload the whole thing again.
    If linux is needed to fix the file, I do have a basic version called monkey linux on there, but it comes with no real files and no compiler

Please help, I am a first time linux user who is a bit annoyed with all this messing about

Thanks for any help

:-(
    anybody there

I am here and I have no clue how to help you...

It's 7:40 am here in North America so I guess you will have to bear with it until the American Linux gurus wake up...

Sorry I couldn't help
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Thats ok, Don't worry about it I forgot that it was still night over there. Thanks anyway

Banned
    Hey, Instead of trying to find a program to repair that file just get a better version of Linux

May I suggest RedHat or Mandrake

Yeah I know, I would love to install Mandrake, But On my 3.2Gb hard disk it would be impossible to do this yet and have windows on which I really do need still. Also downloading Mandrake is a very slow thing to do. Until I get a bigger hard disk and a better pc overall I can not do this at this time

sorry i can't help with your question but u can install mandrake with that much space, just take out all of the extra programs they give.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

As a newbie, you probably don't really want play around with the "fringe" Linux distributions, unless you're ready to deal with some pain. Both Redhat and Mandrake can be scaled down to fit well-within the 3G drive you mentioned (though isn't that a little weird size-wise?); I think a full install of Mandrake 8.2 is still only around 1.5G or maybe 2G or so... and that's installing pretty much everything.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Thanks Folks, I will give mandrake a second look, I am building a new beast of a Pc soon has the Pc with the 3.2gb hard disk is only a 166mhz which is pretty useless. The new pc will be about 1.8gbmhz with 2 40 gb hard disk one for windows and one for linux.
    I might be able to get mandrake from a friends broadband connection soon. I can get it from a magzine here, but it only comes with the first 2 discs, is the third one any good?

The third disc is the "commercial" stuff (ie. the stuff not covered under normal GNU license and the like) -- that is, the stuff you had better go read the license on if you want to use. The fourth disc is more of the same, etc.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"