Thread: VB Database Help

Banned

VB Database Help

Hey guys. For my final project in my Visual Basic class, I've decided that I want to make a small Japanese-English dictionary to make taking notes a little easier. The way I want the program to be set up is this... You either type in the English word, hit a button, and get the Japanese word, or you type in a Japanese word, hit a button, and get the English word. I'm new to databases, so I need help. Is there a way I can do this? Also, I'd like the program to allow users to add new words to the English and Japanese databases. This doesn't seem like that hard a thing to do, but I wouldn't know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.

I still have a couple of days to submit to my teacher a new final project. If this one is too difficult, could you recommend something for me to do? Thanks guys.

Ramzi

System_Overload

Thumbs up

Try reading a book dude...... VB for dummies is a great book to read....

System_overload

Ramzi,

Your project would imply using probably an Access database with ADO (ActiveX Data Object) to access the database. Have you ever used SQL before? How advanced in vb are you and how much time to you have to make your project?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Banned
    Thanks for trying to help me out. No, I have never used SQL before. I'm not that advanced in Visual Basic. I'm a beginner because we only go as fast as the slowest person in our class. I do know the basic functions of basic objects. I have worked a little with databases. Connecting a table to a form, and connecting fields to textboxes. That's pretty much it, though. I'm not sure exactly how long I have to do my project, but I assume about a week or so. We have until Tuesday to submit a different project idea, though. So I still have time to change my project if this one proves too advanced for me. Don't worry about the Japanese stuff or anything. All I need help with his the database stuff.

I am imagining in my head two tables. If, say, the word "Hello," is located in (1,1) of the English table, is there any code that could look up what's in (1,1) of the Japanese table and then display that, "Konnichiwa," in a textbox on the form. It seems like a pretty simple thing to do, but I really have no SQL experience.

Ramzi