Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: favorite firewall?

favorite firewall?

whats your favorite firewall? I don't really have one. I just use Norton Personal Firewall 2002 for its network flexibility (it is the only one that I found that works with my internet with a couple of changes). how about you?

str34m3r
    How can you have 44 posts and not know that this question has been asked dozens of times? I haven't been here very long myself, and I don't know how many posts I have right now, but it's somewhere in that range, and I know I've at least seen it at least ten times. And from searching the forums, I can tell it's been asked again and again. If you want to know, read those. If you're just trying to start a discussion, you'd probably be better off making a post about a particular feature that Norton has and asking for comments. That's a lot more likely to get discussion rather than flames. Just a suggestion.

As an example... I use Agnitum Outpost (I never can spell that right) because of the control it allows. Not only do I have control over what addresses I send traffic to, I can specify protocols, ports, ICMP types, etc. I honestly don't know if there's another that provides that much control, but thats one of my favorite features. It would be useful to know if any of the other firewalls provide that much control of traffic. It's something of a religious war around here, so I'll probably just stick with what I have and be happy.

I use free stuff, I am a poor cheap bastard...

TPF + ZoneAlarm and a few other things I can't disclose without the approval of my lawyers
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

I use Zonealarm pro 3.0 It is very powerful and has stopped a lot of hack attacks, which is needed when you run kaaza overnight

Remote_Access
    Agnitium Outpost

FREE! Outpost Firewall is the most feature-packed Personal Firewall for Windows in the world. It gives peace of mind from any threats by Cookies, Ads, E-mail viruses, Backdoors, Spyware, Crackers, Adware and virtually every other Internet danger. This is the first firewall that supports plug-ins so its capabilities can easily be extended. Outpost supports all the latest security techniques and features such as: Full Stealth Mode, Anti-Leak, and MD5 Authentication. Sample plug-ins are included to show how this revolutionary technology can easily be employed for such tasks as Intrusion Detection, Advertisement Blocking, Content Filtering, E-mail Guard and Privacy Control.
    Need I say more?

Remote_Access

Gauntlet - though mostly before NAI got a hold of the thing.

But I'm assuming that answers a question that you weren't really asking...
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

CISCO PIX if you can hack a PIX then the world is yours
    Beware the quiet ones...

Banned
    I use two good firewalls and the one I made.

Where can I get the one you made?
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Norton until 2002, then ZaPro until i had to reload my 'puter and it wanted all the purchase info from almost a year ago which of course i don't have so it wouldn't reload or update and there were no carbon-based lifeforms at ZoneAlarm to write back with any assistance... Anyway, now it's gauntlet.