Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: faced with a moral choice

faced with a moral choice

Would you take power and notoriety or rather choose power and respectability. Someone put this to me recently.

Are you more inclined to be bad or good? Assuming the reward, initially, is the same.

What is more important to you?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I'm more inclined to be good. Doing bad deeds makes me feel guilty.
    Why am I still here?

Despite what I might look like, I fell the same guilt as Alcatraz...

I am trying to get rid of it though...

I also fear of being sent to Alcatraz!
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

LOL. Don't worry, it's closed now. But they might send you to Marion...
    Why am I still here?

GreekGoddess
    I would shoot for respectability. I want to be remembered for doing something great...whatever that may be...

I'm a good girl...really, I am... *LOL*

I'm a good girl...really, I am...
    ah huh we believe you :P

hehe messin'

hmmmmm I would prolly go for good - tho sometimes being a lil bad is fun

v_Ln

I'd choose to be good even if the rewards weren't the same. It's a matter of principle. The question does bring up a very interesting discussion though. Everyone seems to choose beeing good but what are the reasons for it?

Are they social, religious or just imposed on us by society? Are there really any reasons for beeing good, besides the fact that we all want to feel accepted by our surroundings?
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

I would choose power with respectability, because you would be more likely to keep your power with respectability rather than notoriety (unless you are a Kennedy).

Deb

Also, if you were just going for being good, whose good do you choose? People have very different ideas of what is good and why.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Also, if you were just going for being good, whose good do you choose? People have very different ideas of what is good and why.
    `

I would define 'good' as any action that brings optimal personal satisfaction and/or happiness to the people I interact with in any give situation.

/me wonders if one could use the Nash Equilibrium to define 'good'

Food for though: Do you pat the dog because the dog likes to be patted or because you like to pat it?
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Let's keep that thread clean and not bring dog patting and such sexual references in it! lmao

It 's too early for me to selfanalyse my motives for being good... I know it makes me feel good to do good deeds, why? Lemme call my shrink
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]