Thread: What software!?

Unhappy What software!?

I want to try working with phpbb but the system requirements to run it are:

A webserver or web hosting account running on any major Operating System
    A SQL database system, one of:

MySQL (3.22 or higher)
    PostgreSQL 7.0.3 or higher (preferably 7.1.x or 7.2.x)
    MS SQL Server (7 or 2000) directly or via ODBC
    MS Access (2000 or XP) via ODBC

PHP (3.0.9 and above or preferably 4.x running as a module) with support for the database you intend to use above

Now I want to set up a server on my local machine to work on it at home can anyone suggest the software i would need?

Am running Win98 - thanx in advance

v_Ln

Hi mom!
    I've set this up on a debian-shell on one of my friends servers. All you need for that is Apache and a MySQL table... works like a charm, I had the whole thing installed in less than half an hour. Check http://jetser.its-s.tudelft.nl/~guus/phpBB/
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

ermm for the database.. i would say MySQL.. NEVER EVER use MS Access.. its even worse than a virus.. atleast a virus does something.. trust me in that.. I used MS access to create databases for companies and its a pain in the arse..

Banned
    I'd go with MySQL. I run mysql servers and if ya need help with that then pm me. Hope tah help... lates!

thanx guys for the help - am getting a copy of phptriad
    PHPTriad is a complete PHP development and server environment for Windows. It installs PHP, Apache, MySQL, and PHPMyAdmin, both installing and setting up the environment. Version 2.11 updates all components and it now includes Perl 5.
    so hopefully that shouyld do it - oh and JRoc I'll prolly take up u on that if i get stuck

v_Ln

Hi mom!
    Let us know what happend, and what difficulties you ran into.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

well am trying to get apache and mySQL set up at the minute - fun fun fun
    /me thinks it might have just been easier to pay for hosting with mySQL support >_<;

v_Ln

Banned
    Glad too help.. I'm good with MySQL so like I said if ya need help - and this is for anyone- plz pm me with what ya need! Again, Clad to help ya Val...

well I ain't ever tried to work in mySQL before >_<;
    but am going to leave it for a minute - going out for pizza to de-stress...yum!!

v_Ln