Thread: Samba and windows

Question Samba and windows

Hi all!

I have a linux red hat 6.2 box configured with samba as the file server. All is working well except for one annoyance.

When I browse the msdos file systems from either the linux box or from the network drive in windoze explorer, it isn't giving me the long file names. It is changeing it to the first few letters of the file name and the rest numbers.

Does anyone know how to fix this annoyance?

Thanks for your input!

Phishphreek80

str34m3r
    Well, I'm not trying to be a smart alec about this, but you might try upgrading to a higher version. I've used the samba support in 7.1 and 7.2 and never ran into the problem. Sorry I can't help more.

I've read up on it since my post and I've found that samba will only show msdos partitions with the short file names... something to do with linux is ASCII and windows is binary... or something like that.

What if I was to do this...

I have a 30gig drive full of mp3s that I want to share with my household. I would like to do it on my linux box rather than windows...

if I copy the drive to something else, change the partitiont to EX2, then copy them back to the new linux partition, will I be able to see more than a short file name?

I do have linux 7.2. If thats what I need to upgrade to on this box, thats what I'll do... but I was trying to avoid it.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Phishphreek80

str34m3r
    Sorry... can't help you there. I've never tried that. Best of luck to you though.