Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Book........?

heh awwwwww man am gettin tired >_<;
    was browsing the front page galncing at active threads and thought i saw
    Favourite bonk...? heh thought it was a bit too private a question to be asking

oh & i 4got to mention Terry Pratchett/Douglas Adams <- 2 of the best comical writters ever
    can't get funnier than discworld or hitch hikers guide to the galaxy

v_Ln

Originally posted here by souleman
    Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.....Although that is more then one book, isn't it....
    I agree with souleman.. Jordan is one of my favorites.. J.R.R Tolkien another old time favorite.

I like "The Elegant Universe" alot too, Although I have to say my all time favourite popular science book is "Flatterland" by Ian Stewart. It's sort of based on Flatland, only more so - thus Flatterland

Novels, I do not read much any more. It's a shame I can't find the time but I love Buchowski, Kafka and Sartre in no particular order. I can't however, stand russian litterature because I never seem to get through the first three hundred pages which seems to be a test if you're worthy of reading the book in the first place...

Anyway, great thread. Really interesting to read.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Likely Something Odd ...

My favorite book? Gotta be Spycatcher by Paul Greengrass; it's about how things get screwed up with PHB-types running the show. Sort of. Worth a read through if you've not.

PM or re: to me if you've read this; I'd like to think that at least someone else here has read through this!

~N~

Hacking Exposed (3rd Edition) and Viruses Revealed, both very informative books for system administrators.

As for non-computing books, Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece, but I have soooo many books I don't know which to choose!
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

No joke. . .waaaay to many. . .speakin' o'Lords, tho, Lord of the Flies, decent movie, great book!!! Required in Jr. High, didn't wanna read it. . .now I pull it out every now and then.

"Just for fun" by Linus Torvalds

I still remember when my favorite book was lost, It's DOS Programmer's Reference.
    Listen closely to your enemies. They tell you your faults.

I too like Jordans Wheel of Time Series even if the story is being dragged out way too much, (the last book was a bit of a improvement), the next one is out in November (can't wait).

Also I like Raymond E Fiest's earlier work (up to the end ot the serpent war series) and most of the books by David Eddings (even though I thought The Redemption of Althalus was a bit of a dissapointment). I also enjoy, along with many others, books by Terry Pratchett (I'm in the middle of Thief of Time at the moment), Jack Higgins, Clive Cussler, Wilbur Smith, Larry Bond, ... etc (I too do a lot of reading).

But I have to say that my all time favourite book is Without Remorse by Tom Clancy (90% of his books are excellent).
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.

another of my favorites The Master and Margarita.
    \"SI JE PUIS\"