Free Wire REBOOT

Thread: Free Wire REBOOT

Free Wire REBOOT

Hi All,

I am experimenting with Free Wire (it provides services very similiar to WinMX and Kazza). It is a Java based client. I have discovered that if I leave the service running the system generates a memory dump (blue screen of death) and reboots. Does anyone know if I should be using a different version of the JDK (I used the default with the install)? or of any other settings I can check? System is a w2k server sp2, 384MB, ~20GB free, ie 5.0 sp2. The memory dump (memory.dmp in c:\winnt) is 400MB in lenght like a unix core it is giberish to me.

Any thoughts on avoiding the mem dump? 256 of the mem is new.

Thanks,
    -D

str34m3r
    It sounds as though the memory usage of the program itself is written poorly. It probably has a slow memory leak that eventualy uses up all of the memory that the JVM will allow it to use. A short term solution would be to increase the amount of memory the JVM can play with. A longer term solution would be to take a look at the source code and try to eliminate the memory leak.

Thanks -source code is compiled (*.class). This might become an interesting project.
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

str34m3r
    Well, I'm not sure if this will work or not, but there is such a thing as a java decompiler. I can't think of the name, but google should be able to point you in the right direction. I hear they're fairly good, but I have no experience with them myself. Good luck.

Thanks for all your help -upgrading to IE 6 with a new VM seems to have resolved the issue. Wasn't going to go to 6 but its required for C#.
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke