Sympatico?

Thread: Sympatico?

Banned

Sympatico?

Bell Sympatico High-Speed Edition internet service runs on a network (has a modem that converts a telephone connection into an ethernet connection). The problem is is that I get hacked every 5 minutes by trojans and other threats and I cannot get a firewall to configure to my internet connection. Does anyone here have Sympatico connected and have a firewall enabled at the same time? if so, what firewall is it and did you change any settings so it could allow the internet connection? if so, what settings did you change?

What OS do you use? What is your adapter? What firewall software do you use?

This info would be helpful before anyone can attempt a concise answer.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Banned
    I have Windows ME. I'm not sure what my adapter is but (i dunno how to find out) but I have tried several different firewalls. I have tried McAfee Firewall 3.0, Norton Personal Firewall 2002 (when I install this it lets my internet connect for about a week), Agnitum Outpost, Norton Internet Security 2002 (basically same as Norton Personal Firewall), and BlackICE defender. None configure to my internet connection.

Banned
    i dont see the problem but try Tiny Personal Firewall, i belive the link is tinysoftware.com im too lazy to check it, hehe

But ive heard some crappy stuff about sympatico.

why do you say you getting hacked by trojans and what trojans are they.

if you have a trojan on your system get 'the cleaner' from www.moosoft.com
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Ryan, I've used blackice with few problems for the past year, but lately every time i connect my blackice engin stops, and I can't get it to restart....now I use tiny personal firewall...try that. [I've also heard about buffer overflows, and exploits with blackice lately? Is that true?]
    There is little conflict with sympatico highspeed and tiny though.
    I know what you mean about people trying to get in....there was a new page of hack attempts everyday when i checked blackice....most were using rogers cable, or bell highspeed from the toronto area.....

I have sympatico service at work and have configured zone alarm to work fine with it.

Banned
    I do not have a trojan on my system (not any more I deleted the infected file). When I had my Norton Personal Firewall 2002 (for the week it worked) I kept getting alerts up telling me an attempt to connect to my computer was blocked. I checked the IP address and it was on the Sympatico network and was in my area (I could tell because the IPs were almost the exact same as mine and I traced a couple). I do live in the Toronto area. %99 of the attempts were using SubSeven (almost all) and a couple using NetBus. I have tried ZoneAlarm Pro before but it didn't work (mayb cause I didn't configure it right). Sympatico is not bad actually its pretty fast for phone line.

ok, now i get the picture. what these alarms are telling you is that someone, at the ip address given, is scanning for the open port for sub7. they're scanning the entire ip block with the hope of one day finding a sub7 server they can play with. don't take it personally.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    its ok guys. I have found a firewall. I downloaded ZoneAlarm free. But does the internet lock have to be locked in order to it to block trojan attacks or port scans?