Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploding Power Supply

Exploding Power Supply

Some problems I have been having lately, namely, this morning. I just got the components for my new system yesterday, put it together, using the 300W power supply from my old system that has working since last Christmas and it worked from around 8:30 till around 2AM, when it made an odd sound and turned off. It was late, so I went to bed, this mornin' I turned it on, it made a horrible popping sound and I smelled burned electrode. Took it apart and the smell is coming from the power supply. What happened?

Stats:
    L&C 300W ps (blew up)
    Gigabyte GA-7DXE motherboard
    Athlon XP 2100+
    Seagate 20Gb ATA hd
    Standard Floppy
    Standard CD Drive
    ThermalTake Volcano7 CPU heatsink
    Leadtek Gf4 128DDR TI3600 video card
    512 DDR Ram
    Creative Labs Sound Card
    Motorola 56K NetODragon Modem

I dont think it was heat because the side panel was off and my window was open. It was(is) cold. (Northern California)

dude, I am sure there is something wrong with the power supply. I don't know if it could be repairable or not but I would like to reccomend you to not turn your pc on till you change the power, cause it might hurt other parts too eg. HDD, CPU ,...
    Sorry for not able to help more.

Cheers
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

I have completely dissassembled the computer, and am using a different one. Right now the case that computer was in has absolutely nothing in it except the front panel connector wires. I am just wondering what could have caused that so I can avoid it in the future.
    -thx
    ERROR: No Keyboard Detected
    Press F1 to continue....

300w eh? You blew the internal fuse in the power supply. I'd use AT LEAST a 400w supply for that rig. If you open it up you should be able to change the fuse. These are readily available at Radio Shack.
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

I did open it up. It appears as though the fuse is welded to the circuit board. I agree that I need a bigger ps. Do you think that 400W will be enough? I found a relatively cheap PS. If anyone with more experience would look at it and tell me what you think I would appreciate it.

Press F1 to continue....

450w might be safer. One time I powered up a shorted motherboard and got to see GOUTS of flame shout out the back of the power supply. That was pretty awesome
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Old Fart
    uhmmmm...just to play it safe, make sure the power supply you get is AMD certified, and go with a 450 at least.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

How bout brands, which are better or worse?
    Press F1 to continue....

Old Fart
    Here's a link to the cheapest Enermax I could come up with. It's a good P/S, dual fan (1 intake, 1 output) and fairly quiet.

http://www.aicmicro.com/productdetail.asp?id=8198
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Here are some guidelines for chooseing a power supply, by Oreilly

http://safari.oreilly.com/main.asp?b...nut2&snode=219
    test