View Poll Results: What Operating System Best Suits you?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandrake

3 21.43%
  • Windows 2000

3 21.43%
  • Windows Xp

1 7.14%
  • Mac

0 0%
  • Dos

0 0%
  • Windows 98 SE

5 35.71%
  • Windows 95

0 0%
  • Other

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bookstores... stigma

Banned

Angry Bookstores... stigma

I don't know if this has happened to you but it has to me....

Today, and any other day, I go to purchase a magazine or book about the "contraversial" topic of Hacking and PC/Network/Internet security.

My beef is, why can't people stop to think otherwise then what the media has fed into their little brains.

I walk over to the counter after choosing three titles...
    1: The Photo Book (For Fiancée)
    2: Secrets of Super Hacker by KnightMare (informative, although dated, and humourous)
    3: The Hacker Challenge... (I think - big book)

The cashier looks at my books and then looks up at me and gives me this look or either discust or shame.

Then she asks if I found everything I wanted. I said no, since I couldn't find the new quarterly issue of 2600 (not in yet). She askes the magazine "lady" to look for me. She knew it was in the computer section and, also, gives me this look of: "so you're one of them..." kinda things....

I thought that my country and others like the states protect people with freedom of the press and expression.....

Why can I purchase a book like "Crypto" and get no response (clueless response) and then get a book with a recognisable word like "Hack" on it and get stigmatized?

Sorry if it seems like I'm venting at the wrong people. Just wanted to know your thoughts on the stigma of purchasing this type of material....

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I bought 2600 for my job. When I brought it to the counter to pay for it, the clerk kind of laughed under his breath and rung it up. When I asked him what was so funny, he told me, "oh, nothing...."
    @$$W1p3.

I know what it's like, man.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Banned
    I feel for ya...

I'm trying to learn as much as I can so that I can be a vital asset to the eCrime unit for the OPP of Ontario....

TechieChick
    Try walking up to the counter at Borders with a stack of computer related books and being a girl. Amazing what kind of comments you get...

F___ 'em, at least your not working as a bookstore clerk...

Banned
    TechieChick, more power to you....!!!

There's nothing cooler then a woman learning pc

I wish other women would get the urge.... my gf just doesn't understand....

TechieChick
    Shopper...lol

Everyone starts somewhere..don't want to fault them for being a bookstore clerk..but if they're going to be rude I like to gently yet forcibly put 'em down.

TechieChick
    Tyger_claw, thank you. I believe you never stop learning and I've owned my own shop now for almost three years. I start getting grief from some clerk about buying 2600 or a book on networking I can shut them up pretty damn fast. It just irritates me that they feel the need to make comments.

Banned
    Like my momma always said.... eerr.... or someone...

If ya got nothing good to say, SHUT THE ***** UP!

Techiechick your absolutely right....there's nothing wrong with being a bookstore clerk....
    Just F___ the rude ones.....the only way to stop them from giving you that look is to buy something off the "employee suggestion" rack....some are book snobs..
    I