Thread: Anyone else looking forward to Solaris9

Smile Anyone else looking forward to Solaris9

Anticipating this release. Are you?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Not exactly... well, let's just say that I haven't been terribly "happy" with either 7 or 8... it feels kind of like Sun has been in the "revision war" to prove that the can execute a release of software as fast or faster than M$... I've seen no real serious improvements, overall (though perhaps I'm a bit cynical); and I've able to take Solaris 8 to the point that I can panic the system simply be trying to recompile GCC 2.95.2 (as a normal user, I might add).

So, simply put, I'll let other people beta test it... last I knew, the corporate acceptance and migration from 2.6 to 7 was still fairly slow - though I think Sun's trying to EOL the thing to try to force people in to support contracts or to upgrade (and yes, I still find it funny that Sun is still releasing updates to their Y2K patch clusters for 2.5.1 and 2.6).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

If they turn the services off by default that would be a start.

Last time I installed a sun box (Sol 8), it had more services running on it than I've had hot dinners. 99% of them are unuseful to most people so they could just default them to off and it'd be a lot easier and more secure.

They can take the "Sun Answerbook Web Server" and stick it up their *** for starters

Not really, unless it is for the intel architecture, too bad they stopped supporting it. I only have 1 sun blade

I definately consider it too bad that they discontinued support for the x86 architecture. It would be nice to learn a more commercial version of *nix to help me get a better job, but I dont feel like dishing out $1000 to buy a sparc workstation a good investment. Is it just me or is Sun becoming more like microsoft every day? Maybe I'll just get Solaris 8.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Well I just heard from some people from Sun Holland that the production of the Sun Blade will be discontinued as well, not a lot of demand they say.

Originally posted here by slarty
    They can take the "Sun Answerbook Web Server" and stick it up their *** for starters

OMG I was dying when I read this... ROFLMAO.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Well it can't be much worse than Sol 8. My company is way up M$'s a$$ anyhow so we only have 2 or three sun workstations. If they're buying, I'll give it a whirl.

obviously then, the excitement for this release is palpable.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    i havent tried sun b4 (still waiting for my free dvd :P)
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"