Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the hacker diaries

Confessions of Teenage Hackers.

Just picked this up today, so I don't know if it is any good. Sections on Genocide, Joe Magee and Noid, Mafiaboy, Pr0metheus and Expotion, World of Hell, Starla Pureheart, Willie Gonzalez, and HD Moore. Also a history, headlines, and links.

I just thought one part was pretty cool. In the 'Hacking on the Web" section, part 1 "Individual Hackers" page 207...
    John Vranesevich
    www.antionline.com/jp
    The Web site of the founder of the hacking Web site AntiOnline.com, thought to be one of the best hackers in the world."

Not sure where he got his information, but even JP denies being a hacker...
    Thanks for the heads up souleman. Looks like it could be worth a read . As for that JP guy, yes, it's true, he's an 3733t ub3r h4x0r. I caught him the other day trying to hack into my box and upload p0rn . Will he never learn?

Anyways, here's the amazon link to the book for those who are interested.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Ok, the introduction kind of pissed me off. It was a fictional diary entry by a hacker who had been arrested. They tried to portray this guy as a script kiddie, but he has programming experience and wrote his own exploits. Obviously I haven't had time to read much of the book yet, but that just kinda triped me out. Maybe he isn't discovering the exploits himself, but writing them is still pretty good.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I took souleman's advice and picked up this book. After all it's only about $25 AUD which is pretty cheap for a hacking book (even if it is only 200 odd pages long). I've read most of the book and I found it very interesting. It gives gives a fairly accurate portrail of how hackers get drawn into the whole hacking sub-culture as teenagers and go on to either get busted or become white hat hackers.

Most of the stories in this book are typical "smart kid doesn't fit in at school and needs something to occupy his/her time because school is boring and there are no challenges there" stories. These kids get drawn into hacking one way or another and after some time they get quite proficient at it and become a part of the undergroud scene.

The book makes some interesting observations about how script kiddies have gradually taken over hacking and IRC. The early 90's are portrayed as the real boom time for hacking while today, it says, a lot of kids talk about how good they are at hacking but never seem to actually do any real hacking.

If you're interested in hackers and the associated underground culture, then this book provides an realistic and insightful account of the lives of real teenage hackers that is hard to put down. I recommend this one. It's a good read.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Banned
    Thanks for the suggestion, couldn't find it in Chapters but will look again....

Another suggestion is "The Hacker Challenge"

Find out if you have what it takes to keep the bad guys out of your network. This real-world resource contains 20+ hacking challenges for you to solve. Plus, you'll get in-depth solutions for each, all written by experienced security consultants.
    Check the link here

Banned
    Nice i might go buy it

I got it, it is pretty good but you'll blow through pretty fast. Not sure if it is worth the money. Get "Hacking Exposed" and its cousins thats a good series
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

for the telco / phreaking side of things, i suggest reading 'the hacker crackdown'. its mainly a history lesson about the phreaking / cracking that was going on in the early 90's. anyone else read it?

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

Sorry if this has already appeared in previous posts, but i found Underground a good read and is available online at http://www.underground-book.org

It basically takes an Oz look at hackers in the late 80's and early 90's and for those old enough to remember, the names Electron, Force, Mendax, Pheonix, Anthrax and Prime Suspect feature prominently. There is also chapters on Parmaster (US) and Gandalf and Pad (UK), all subjects of the hacker takedown of the era.

Is well written and gives a bit of an insight into the minds of these obvioulsy quite talented but misguided individuals - follows their exploits, capture and ultimate punishment. The book also follows up with a sort of "What became of" for these individuals.