Thread: Xserve

Xserve

http://www.apple.com/xserve/

SWEET.

I WANT ONE!

But, I really don't have a need for one.

dhej

We all know that Mac OS X is UNIX-based so why not just use UNIX?
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Are you trying to pick a fight?

If we all know that mac OS X is UNIX-based, why do you have to you to point it out? I am perfectly aware that it is UNIX-based. Do you like making redundant statements?

Besides, the last time I checked, xserve was a server, not a server OS. If this was about the next release of Mac OS X aka Jaguar, then I might understand why you are being contrary, but it isn't. So, I don't see the relevance of your comment.

If you are tring to pick a fight, you can browse through this forum and look at the multitude of posts for and against Mac and you can see that you will say one thing, and then someone will say another thing ad infinitum until we get bored and this topic and it falls into the past unremebered.

So, how about that Dual 1 Ghz G4, 2 Gig @ 266Mhz, .48 TB, dual gigabit ethernet cards, firewire, USB, and it is one hella sexy rackmount case...

dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel

Macs are better, but go with a PC.

Banned
    Macs have a better filesystem structure then the i386 PC, they are more efficiant, but cost WAY too much, you could get ALOT more performance from a PC with all the money u spend on a MAC...

Just a personal opinion...

How often are Mac systems, hacked? I don't hear much about that. But then, Mac's aren't very wide spread, and aren't normally used for servers*, well until now.

Anyhow, I like the Mac Monitor's, I like the G3/G4 Cases. But too expensive. I wouldn't mind trying out OS X.* (...) Wouldn't mind having a nice GUI on top of a *nix operating system. One thing that keeps me away from Linux. Yes, I know about enlightenment, but I dont' care for it.

*Thats just my understanding, which could of course, be completely wrong.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

While it is true that macs are somewhat more expensive, you get what you pay for. Macs are more reliable both in terms of OS and hardware (never had a hardware to hardware issue in my 15+ years as a mac owner) than WinDuhs. Though in the past software avaiblity has been an issue, today you can do anything on a mac that a PC can do (with the exception of getting a crap load of poor quality games), including run PC software thru Vitrual PC or another commerical emulator. Now OS X is based on Unix, which gives us mac folks the ability to run Unix Software without giving up the easy of the Mac GUI or loosing the power of Mac programs!

Of course Winduhs and Linux have there advantages, but I detect more than a little jealousy from our friends from the dark side....
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

gstudios,

Macs in the past have rarely been hacked for a multitude of reasons, the primary one is that most l337
    h4><0rs call them "Macintrash" and haven't taken the time to learn them.

Now though, Mac users have to be more careful. Mac OS X is a paradigm shift for the Mac World. Now ppeople knowledgable with UNIX can figure out how to bust into Macs..., but the eventhough the environment is incredibly similar, there are some differences which would make the attacker have to do some research into at least Darwin, and perhaps a little of the MacOS X and MacOS X Server.

But, like I said, how about that slick rackmount case, and all that spiffy hardware...

Oh, and on a side note, though still relevant to the hardware aspect. At the press conference Jobs was asked about when Pixar was going to start using clusters of xserve units for their renderfarm, and he replied that it was up to them, but that they were really interested in them...
    Read Where I Got This From Here

Granted this is incredibly unofficial "news", but if Pixar did revamp their clusters with xserve, how big off a boost do you think it would be to Apple?

I think that it would change the way that a lot of people view them, and I certainly think that it would be a serious boost for Cupertino. I have my fingers crossed, those things would be perfect for that application. 630 Gigaflops in a 42U Rack..., yummy. And it isn't even fruit flavored

dhej

Originally posted here by gstudios
    Wouldn't mind having a nice GUI on top of a *nix operating system. One thing that keeps me away from Linux. Yes, I know about enlightenment, but I dont' care for it.
    The new KDE3 absolutly rocks. It's the best GIU so far IMHO. You name it, it has it, or does it. I makes Linux fun for noobs and old hands. It has enough features and utilities to emulate about whatever you want, including MAC.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.