I need help saturating a line

Thread: I need help saturating a line

Angry I need help saturating a line

I am doing a test with H.323 video and I need to saturate a T1 to test Qos. My problem is that I don't know how to saturate the line correctly. I need to saturate the inbound line. I used icmp to saturate the inbound, but it didn't work because ICMP is very low priority in the router. Does anybody know how to saturate the inbound of a line with something that is not ICMP?

thank you
    mike

Sure, you can do it many ways. The correct way to do it would be to get an Ixia box www.ixiacom.com or a smartbits www.spirent.com and setup the QoS tests in those boxes, however if you lack the funds to buy those expensive boxes, then multiple ftp sesions going both ways could do the job. That's not as accurate a test as using the correct equipment. Just pick a large file and do some cross transfers. Y ou can easily sturate a line with ftp traffic.

Hope that helps.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I've had a similar problem trying to test for the maximum load on a proxy server at work. As KorpDeath said, you can try to simulate the user load via ftp or you could write a little app that simply spits out ICMP/UDP packets or whatever to your machine. These are the kind of tests that I've been running at work but they don't really give an accurate representation of network load.

Work is now looking into get a Ixia box for testing our servers and it looks like we might be able to justify the cost . These boxes are the only way you can simulate real network data throughput. Ixia boxes can generate huge amounts of data very quickly and you can configure all sorts of different types of packets/data to give a fairly accurate indication of the maximum load your servers can handle. They're great...if you can afford them.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Here ya go...try this.

http://www.tenebrous.com/rain/

of course I know you will *ONLY* use this for the right purpose. It is a very nice packet generator that can flood just about anything as long as you have the bandwidth to support it.

thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.