Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unethical computer research?

Unethical computer research?

Well I´m back, and I´m pissed off again.
    It seems like a group of scientists have been banging their heads against the wall trying to come up with a new way to monitor every internet user.
    Read sum here
    collection keystrokes and remote reconfiguration.. Sounds like a trojan to me.
    And if it´s gonna work like a cookie it should be a bitch to keep of the computer. Imagine if you don´t have to accept anything and this c**p auto downloads. Ok, I´m trying to start a fire here, I would be bound to be able to stop it and so should most of you be too. But for the main users out there this looks like a problem.
    And the realy nice part is that they are gonna receive a grant. In the long run this could spring some new business but is it worth the potential risk? Should people research in this area (with goverment/business grants)? Would you do it? Maybe this will become non-platform dependant, then what?
    As for me, I would have a bit of trouble justifying this to myself. The chances that some company (read M$) would like to incorporate this into their systems is not al that remote. (for your own good ofcourse) Hell, this makes Gator and the rest of them look like babies.

*edit note* Yup, this is the same story that Acidspectrum posted in General chit chat. I´m more in the interest of the answers to the questions I´m stating.
    Maybe I should have posted my questions in General but since this is a thread with a bit more philosophy I thought that I´d have a go here
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Banned
    Yes, I posted the story on AO a few days ago.... This is unnacceptable that Big Brother will soon be watching us 24/7, and the worst part is that we wont even know it
    /me wonders if there is a petition against this crap

Eh, it was only a matter of time. I'll just keep using spyblocker, adaware, and the like. You are never going to stop men from thirsting for control, it'll never happen. Man is a control freak, plain and simple. Mix that with technology and what do you get?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Man is a control freak, plain and simple. Mix that with technology and what do you get?
    answer = SKYNET
    & I don't mean the AT&T satellite hub service - I mean the evil SKYNET....don't know what am getting at try http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=terminator

v_Ln

Thanks, but I'll stick to my open OS...
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    Man is a control freak, plain and simple. Mix that with technology and what do you get?
    A Network/System Admin???

that is the worst idea ever!

Thought police anyone. Remember the story 1984 sounds like its just around the corner.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Evil, I Say!

It really isn't a good thing to have done... Pretty soon they will say that it is perfectly normal to just use a lock with a blank key, all from opening up your computer like this. I would be very uncomfortable if I had a police officer (Not that I do anything ) just walk into my house casually, and watch me with those staring eyes... The same thing seems to be what they want to do with computers. Not only that, but what if some other person walks inside my house with a gun, and is ready to blow my head off!!!??? Somebody will eventually find out how to do that if such a program exists.

My opinion is that this is bad. If I have the right to remain silent, then the rights should apply to my computer as well. It has a right to do what I tell it to do! In the states, I think that you can lawfully refuse to let an officer in if they don't have a warrent, and I'm gonna do the same thing with my computer for as long as I can!

Whoa! That sure let off a bit of steam...

-Tim_axe

Guess it´s about time to start reading those boring EULA´s.
    But what kinda power does the un-regular user have against M$ for instance, Adobe or any other of the big ones? If they al decide to incorporate this cr*p in their programs/OS there might not be much to do. Try removing explorer from 98 or ME now that´s a treat for everyone.
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile