Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Security

Credit Card Security

Is giving your credit card number over the web more secure than giving it over the phone line?

Banned
    I think it is more secure over the phone line, because you never know whos listening in on your network connections/Internet access
    But you can also say the same thing about the phone, Your phone may be tapped by phreaks or just people 'accidentally' listening in.... So heres an idea for you, Just dont give out your CC#

All things configured correctly and the most up to date security practices and procedures in place, I dont think anyone will stumble upon your transaction like they could with a phone line.

Banned
    Personally, speaking over a cellphone would be more risky then over the net... no?

Either way, go with Acid sais.... Just use money orders

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I prefer to pay in 800 pound granite chariot wheels...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I don't care to give all of you guys my credit card bumber, it is not posing any major problem to me since you don't have my signature... Of course I would have it disabled 1 minutes after giving you my number
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Ninja Code Monkey
    Hrm....well at least over the net you are using some encryption to transfer it (hopefully) and doing business with someone who does NOT keep your credit card information in a database, print it out, keep it in their server logs, etc.

There is at least a way to keep track of who is taking your information through the ssl certificates.

Taking it over the phone however, you are calling someone who probably makes just a bit over minimum wage and probably hasn't been trained about security, fraud, etc. You don't know if they are writing the information down, or doing the same transaction you would over the net (most e-commerce companies I've known simply use the web site to take your phone orders.....and if you think that is more secure you need to realise that most security problems for companies come from the inside).

At the very least it is better than using your card at a restaurant where the server often walks off with your card (what could they do while they have it I wonder?), and then come back with a reciept/copy with your cc# and other necessary info on it. Do you leave the restaurant's copy on the table when you leave? People can simply walk up, grab it, and then you better hope you have a Capital One No Hassle card!
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

i think it would be safer over the net because there is encryption and more security, once i borrowed my friend's radio reciever to see what i could get...(i was bored) and i could pick up my neighbors conversations... if someone were to be listening at the same time you read out your CC#
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

The internet is _not_ a safe place for credit cards. I've had some very personally bad experiences with credit cards online that I would not like to talk about that make me think this. Trust me, do as some others have said and just use a money order or something. Or even you could maybe use 800 pound granite chariot wheels or something similar.

I have a CC specifically for internet purchases.

It has a very low limit and I use it for nothing EXCEPT he internet.

I read the terms and conditions and I am protected against fradulant charges as outlined in the T and C's.

Using a CC on the internet is the same as everything else in life......do it in ignorance and it could be a problem. Do it wisely and you should be OK.

JMO
    KapperDog