Suicide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suicide

Suicide

Hmm,
    Recently while talking amongst some of my friends, we came up to the topic of suicide. Now I was wondering, what does everyone here think of it being illegal{here in the US that is}. And what do you guys think about assisted suicide, as Dr. Cavorkian was arrested because of it. When I was talking to them I was thinking that it is unethical that the American government would even think of putting a law that judges your own life, and how you wish to live it. I was also thinking of assisted suicide, how do they get off saying that it is wrong to help someone else fullfil their wishes that they wish to do. Anyway, what are your opinions?

{WHEN I MENTION SUICIDE I AM TALKING ABOUT COMITTING IT FOR THE PURPOSE OF ENDING PAIN AND ONLY WHEN CERTAIN DEATH IS INEVITABLE. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO TEENAGERS WHO HATE LIFE AND WANT TO KILL THEMSELVES.}

Banned
    How is suicide illegal? Are they gonna arrest you after you die? Or write you up a ticket...?
    My opinion on assisted suicide is that it should be illegal, because the person asking to be killed may not be in their right mind, or not thinking correctly.... Now, I am only talking about a few cases... If the person is on their deathbed and they cannot be saved then pulling the plug can be considered.....

"Teenages who hate life and want to kill themselves" can be experiencing a lot of pain, too. Or do you feel that psychological problems/pain aren't "real" pain?

Doctor assisted suicide should not be allowed, except in some extreme cases. If someone really wants to kill themselves, they'll find a way to do it without a doctor. Getting someone else to do it shows that they have doubts, or a part of them still wants to live. In extreme cases where there seems to be no possible way for the person to kill themselves, the doctor could assist by setting something up, but I think the final action should still rest in the hands of the patient.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

If someone really wants to kill themselves, they should be allowed to. There are examples all over the place of doctors who keep their patients alive although the patients are living in pain. You know, where they're breathing through a tube, eating through a tube, are paralyzed from the neck down, ect. Those people cannot end their lives, and although they beg for their doctors to end it for them, it would be illegal for the doctors to do so. and so they are living this awful life which they just want to END. (I guess i'm for doctor assisted suicide...)

tootles

Banned
    Originally posted by ac1dsp3ctrum
    How is suicide illegal? Are they gonna arrest you after you die? Or write you up a ticket...?
    The 9/11-terrorists... they died, does that make their actions legal?

Or insurance: your family won't get any money from your life insurance if you commit suicide. Insurance won't cover any damage you do while comitting suicide (parents of "teenagers who hate life and want to kill themselves" and jump of a building, will not only be confronted with psychological pain, but will be forced to pay for ALL bills - ambulance, police,...)...

GreekGoddess
    Originally posted here by thesecretfire

Doctor assisted suicide should not be allowed, except in some extreme cases. If someone really wants to kill themselves, they'll find a way to do it without a doctor. Getting someone else to do it shows that they have doubts, or a part of them still wants to live. In extreme cases where there seems to be no possible way for the person to kill themselves, the doctor could assist by setting something up, but I think the final action should still rest in the hands of the patient.
    Even with Dr. Kevorkian's cases, the patients were set up to end their own lives, and they triggered the mechanisms that started the lethal dosage.

People turn to doctors for all sorts of afflictions, why can't we turn to them if we're suffering and we no longer want to live? People don't want to 'commit suicide' because they're in excruciating pain, they want to simply end their lives. This is a big issue in Catholicism because to kill yourself denies you entry into heaven. Most Catholic priests won't even perform a funeral and you can certainly count out being buried in a Catholic cemetary...UNLESS, by having a doctor 'assist' you...it becomes legal...

Whatever the problem is, in abstract....If a person wants to die, for whatever their reasons are, they should be allowed. If you attempt suicide and it's not fatal, be prepared for the psych ward and extreme counseling, as well as in some states going to court for attempted murder. The government owns your body...and the rights to do whatever they deem is right...

Thumbs up

All the proposed laws about "assisted suicide"
    are not about letting people end their lives.
    It is about compelling a doctor to do it for you,
    against the medical ethics that have developed
    over thousands of years.

If you must end your life, I suggest you join the army.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

>>theSecretFire, I am not commenting in this thread about "psycological" pain merely for the reason that I wanted to hear other's opinions about physical pain. If you wish to talk about depression, that would be a different thread.

>>Greek I agree with that, we already turn to doctors for other problems, why not ending out lives by added to the list.

And another thing, I myself am FOR Doctor assisted suicide, for the point that they will help the severely ill put an end to thier misery. If you look at the alternatives, they are not to bright, as a few of you have mentioned, why not end your own life? I think that would not be the best of ideas. Consider this example, you are lieing on the bed you will die on, you are in pain, and you can barely move, how are you going to kill yourself? Put a gun to your head and splatter your brains all over the wall? Inject yourslef with windex and have your body burn like fire for 20 minutes before you die? Inject yourself with air, force cardiac arrest then another hour of pain and agony? If you look at the examply you can clearly see that if you are for suicide to escape certain death and pain, then you should be for doctor assisted suicide, in my opinion that is. Well, what do all of you think?

It's been illegal for a very long time now. For example, in Medieval England, failed suicides were hanged!

Originally posted here by ac1dsp3ctrum
    My opinion on assisted suicide is that it should be illegal, because the person asking to be killed may not be in their right mind, or not thinking correctly.... Now, I am only talking about a few cases... If the person is on their deathbed and they cannot be saved then pulling the plug can be considered.....