I don't know if this has happened to you but it has to me....

Today, and any other day, I go to purchase a magazine or book about the "contraversial" topic of Hacking and PC/Network/Internet security.

My beef is, why can't people stop to think otherwise then what the media has fed into their little brains.

I walk over to the counter after choosing three titles...
1: The Photo Book (For Fiancée)
2: Secrets of Super Hacker by KnightMare (informative, although dated, and humourous)
3: The Hacker Challenge... (I think - big book)

The cashier looks at my books and then looks up at me and gives me this look or either discust or shame.

Then she asks if I found everything I wanted. I said no, since I couldn't find the new quarterly issue of 2600 (not in yet). She askes the magazine "lady" to look for me. She knew it was in the computer section and, also, gives me this look of: "so you're one of them..." kinda things....

I thought that my country and others like the states protect people with freedom of the press and expression.....

Why can I purchase a book like "Crypto" and get no response (clueless response) and then get a book with a recognisable word like "Hack" on it and get stigmatized?

Sorry if it seems like I'm venting at the wrong people. Just wanted to know your thoughts on the stigma of purchasing this type of material....